Painting Interior of Newly built house

thespecialon

HI,

Have a new house, plastered internally before Xmas.heating installed and operational last week. was considering starting painting before floors are put down.
A)Have I left enough time for platered walls to dry out for painting?

B)As far as i know when painting,I apply an undercoat to all walls,then paint over this whichever color wanted for room? I have heard terms like bonding the walls etc?Or will an undercoat,them normal coat suffice?

Thank
T

what i done was buy cheap emulsion and mixed it with 50% water.
this makes paint very watery. Roll on this paint using a roller and it will seal the walls. walls were left streaky after this coat.
then come along with your finished paint, and one maybe two coats will finish it.

OK,THANKS
And you havent had any paint peeling or anything like that?How long ago did you paint it? I heard that if you seal in too much moisture from plastering with paint,can lead to mould- Dont know if any truth to it?

biggest thing is to make sure walls are fully dry before painting.
the idea of using the watery paint is to seal the walls and stop them from peeling.

Hi,
You don't need to put 'undercoat' on the walls. Do as was previously mentioned. Get a couple of large buckets of white emulsion and use that as a base coat. I wouldn't water it down as much as 50% but i'd put about 1-2 cups per bucket. Make sure the plaster is fully dry. Keep the heat on as much as possible, not neccessarily at full heat. If in doubt, ask a plasterer if it is ready to paint.
You can get special offers on large buckets of emulsion at paint shops or even better a paint trade shop like crown trade or something. Try and get all of your paint at once and see what kind of discount they are willing to offer you.

Back