Tablet for 9 yr old

dodo

Hoping for Santa to bring a tablet for and 9 1/2 yr old girl who needs it mainly for games and taking pictures,wifi internet access, seen this BB for E179 reduced from E319, I know this is alot for a child but Xmas and she really wants a tablet but if there is similar that will do the same job for cheaper then Xmas will be even better,I know this is restricted to BB amps,would Android be the way to go if possible

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/blackbe...47930-pdt.html

Strikes me as a wildly inappropriate gift for a 9-year-old, but it's your call, I guess.

Some user reviews here that might be helpful.

Would you not get her a bike? :(

Or at least spend a bit less on it, since it's likely to end up broken before long. Here's an equivalent Android slate for about €100 delivered in the UK, and for €3.50 ParcelMotel would deliver it to your local petrol station.

Why not stick to something that is a bit more aimed at children dodo? Something like sounds more appropriate for a 9 year old.

As the father of a 10yo girl, I, unlike other posters, have no issue with a child that age owning a tablet. So long as you don't go mad and sheel out for an iPad :D !

I saw that device on offer. They're priced to clear because RIM are getting out of that market. HP too made a high-profile exit.

Have a look at reviews on places like CNET or amazon. This device won't rank high against competitor products. However it may be good enough for what you, or your daughter, want. You could get a lesser known brand for similar money.

If it's something you want to go ahead with, and are hapopy with what you read from independent reviews, then go ahead. I assume they won't be available for too much longer.

Its 2012. Kids of all ages use tablets and ipods from about 3yrs and up.

The only issue I'd have is controlling internet access, and if its a child that looks after stuff, some do some don't.

I'd be more inclined to get a Nexus 7. Though it doesn't have a great camera.

I would tend to agree that 9/10 year olds and younger are very comfortable about using touch screen devices. I aslo agree that buying an iPad would be overkill!!

Has the OP thought about an iPod Touch? Small form factor that allows browsing and has a camera.

Another option would be the Samsung Galaxy Tab2 which is a 7" tablet currently on sale for £147 on Amazon. The bonus is that Samsung are offering £30 cashback making it a well specced tablet, by a reputable manufacturer for very cheap.

I would tend to agree that 9/10 year olds and younger are very comfortable about using touch screen devices.

Yep im sure they are but its the cost....E179 on a gift for a nine year old is crazy money IMO.

3DS, Wii, Playstations, PSP Vitas and all those "learning" systems and even bicycles aren't cheap.

Not sticking to the thread question

Guys , I am disappointed that some people did not stick to the question I asked,I did not ask for advice on whether this was an appropriate present for my daughter, so if anyone does want to give advice on a good tablet please feel free as I would be grateful, and all other opinions of moral nature please keep to yourself,thanks

Back to the question, don't get the BlackBerry. They're aimed at the business market, and have a very restricted set of applications available. RIM themselves are in serious trouble.

You'd be much better off getting a generic Android tablet that has full access to the Google Play Store.

A generic one like the nexus will be kept up to date with updates.

I'd be concerned that the others wouldn't. Which can be a problem for some apps.

+1 to Leo and AlbacoreA's points (and hence my original recommendation for a €100-ish Android tablet!)

My concern with the €100 tablet is they may not get an update. Or it might require some convoluted steps. But also the most important thing on a touch screen device is the quality of the screen response. Its the one thing that suffers on cheaper devices.

Given that I may be in the same situation as the op in a couple of years has anyone any views on the link I provided on the Meep tablet? All the other replies with suggestions are for tablets that offer a lot more than what a child would be looking for so would it not be better to look at products aimed at the 9 year old age group or am I buying into the marketing too much?

I got one of these tablets a few years back from Creative. My 8 year old uses it now. It's pretty cheap these days and not bad:
[broken link removed]

Back