Accounting Software for Sole Trader

anniemac

what is the best accounting software for sole trader with dual currency - needs to be cost effective and straightforward, want something that I will use !

I know, thats what I thought, but its way too expensive and to many add on purchases too! but thanks for the reply!

Quicken is multicurrency aware. I use it for a small business with good results. Not good for payroll though.

Hi Ya

Sage instant accounts 156 + vat is one of the cheapest on the market i would say

Is quicken and quick books the same package? tried to google it and cant find a business package only for quicken personal in the US?

Had a look at sage instant accounts, but not dual currency, but thanks for the link!

The UK version of Quicken has been discontinued, yes. Quickbooks is made by the same company but is more expensive, I believe. I use the US version, which can be used for business expenditure and income accounts. Because it's a US version, it's tricky (but possible) to account properly for VAT, so you'd need to know what you're doing from a bookkeeping perspective.

You can download a trial version of quickbooks from intuit.co.uk.

Another free option is [broken link removed].

Tas Software are offering a free version of Tas Books Basic as well: http://www.tassoftware.ie/

I've looked into this for myself and the choice seems to come down to Tas Books 1 or QuickBooks Pro for small / home businesses (Sage Instant Accounts has too many restrictions so I'd avoid that). Ordering QuickBooks online from Amazon.co.uk or Dabs4Work.ie will save you a bit of cash.

One thing I'm wary of with Tas Books is that upgrades are not free (access to their online support knowledge base even costs extra), and it's not clear on their website whether bug fixes fall under that banner.

I would recommend Sage Instant Accounts. Sage Line 50 is overkill for small businesses. I've never used The Big Red Book but I've heard good things about it.

Quickbooks Pro 2008 does not handle multi currency. You'll need to go for QB Pro 2006 for it!
But price wise Quickbooks wins against Sage/Tas or Big Red Book.

Here here Jack, . if your tech support lapses, and you can be sure you will need it at the end of year closing, then you have real fun ! |I am convinced they have a gremlin built in to mess you up just when you are doing your year end

Anniemac - Accounting Software for Sole Trader

Quickbooks, you cant go wrong, but you should check first if your accountant will work with you, using it. Dont let them dictate without giving you real reasons, ( apart from being handy for him /her)

well guy thanks for all the advice- i went with Mamut and not sure it was the best move its pretty tricky - they do have on-line courses, but wondering if anybody knows of one to one training in the North West?

I can give you help over the phone if you are still stuck. Just pm me please.

Back