Visa Electron Card

Z

z101

Is it possible to get the Visa Electron card in Ireland?? The Post Office in the UK give them out and they are supplied to them by Bank of Ireland. Why dont bank of Ireland supply them here then??
Is it possible to get them through the UK?

A friend of mine had some compensation due to flight problems (lost baggage or something) paid to him via a VISA Electron card in the US (c. $50-$100) and he could find nowhere to accept the card here in Ireland. However I noticed recently that McDonald's posters suggest that they accept them! :)

BOI have a joint venture with the P/O in the UK which is why they can supply them there. That's about all I know though :)

MBNA do supply them - thanks for that. They cost 5 Euro to purchase and are a one off. By this I mean you cant put more money on them. They allow you to put on a maximum balance of €350. The are called a gift card and are meant as a means to give cash gifts without giving cash. Below is a link with card for anyone interested, which if you take a few Ryanair flights you may. However please note the ceiling on the account amount. But if you like to pop across to footie games or take up on special offers when flights are really cheap then it may be worthed.

Yes, many merchants in Ireland can accept the Visa Electron card. I certainly can accept them but I have never seen one. As you saw McDonalds do accept them.

There's no way of getting a proper Visa Electron card in Ireland at the moment. We're stuck with Laser for the time being at least. It's a pity as transaction charges for using Mastercard or Visa with e.g. airlines can be substantial.

Before I buy one of these gift cards, has anyone actually used one to book Ryanair flights and avoid the credit card charge?

Just like norfbank, I am wondering if anyone has actually used one of these cards, obtained in the Republic, to book a Ryanair flight and avoided the credit card charge.

Yes I have. But it is a long winded and time consuming method to save a few euro. €5 for the MBNA gift card, wait for arrival of card. During that time price of the flights may have moved upwards.

Yes, afaik it is 3 months.
Does the MBNA Gift! Card have an expiry date?
Yes. It is printed on the front of the card and varies depending upon when the card was purchased

Are you saying the money on the card has to be spent within 3 months?? that cant be correct?? Can anyone who has one of these cards say how long the normaly last for?

Back