Motorists going through red light.

What we need is traffic light reform, to restore the respect for the traffic light.
Traffic lights should flash orange at night, to indicate approach and follow through with caution.
There should be left turn allowed on red, with caution.
And there should be a cull on traffic lights which only serve the purpose of frustrating traffic flow.
Perhaps then respect can be restored :)

What we need is traffic light reform, to restore the respect for the traffic light.
Traffic lights should flash orange at night, to indicate approach and follow through with caution.
There should be left turn allowed on red, with caution.
And there should be a cull on traffic lights which only serve the purpose of frustrating traffic flow.
Perhaps then respect can be restored :)

Most Irish drivers do not have the capability to obey the current rules properly, let alone ones which allow for some degree of ambiguity.

We would need a lot less "me me me" type drivers on our roads before we could consider sensible rules like these.

True. Even in last night's treacherous driving conditions you still had eejits speeding and tailgating and being all impatient and in a hurry around drivers trying to react sensibly to the floods and lashing rain.

Was driving home last night heading through the green light when a group of pedestrians crossed on the red man. Only after I reading this thread and all!

Ireland is a great country for drivers doing what they want no matter what the regulations. Yes, driving through traffic lights on red is one of the most grave bad habits.

I do much city driving and every minute of every hour of every day I see other motorists speeding as if they wanted to break the land-speed record. Most of them are old enough to know that all they are doing is speeding to the next red light or stop sign. Sooner or later, they get caught out and consequently leave a bad mess on the road.

I feel every driver should have refresher courses in driving every few years. Bad habits are difficult to cease. We need the Gardaí to crack down on these uncaring drivers and prosecute as much as possible. The quicker these lunatic drivers are off the road, the better and our roads will be safer for everybody.

There are signs advising road users to report dangerous drivers. This is good, but if there were working video cameras at busy roundabouts and the road users were allowed ring a "central" telephone number to report dangerous and careless drivers resulting in prosecution and fines and possibly disqualification, I feel our roads would be much safer for everybody.

Ireland is a great country for drivers doing what they want no matter what the regulations.
You can substitue lots of categories of people in for 'drivers' in that sentence:
Ireland is a great country for politicians doing what they want no matter what the regulations.
Ireland is a great country for bankers doing what they want no matter what the regulations.
Ireland is a great country for bureaucrats doing what they want no matter what the regulations.
...:)

I've been watching out for drivers going through red lights since this thread was started. So far this week I've seen around 15 cars and 3 Dublin Bus busses.

Some pretty poor driving alright. One thing I noticed though is how close the cyclist was to the car(s) in front of him. Should a car have to break suddenly I doubt the cyclist would be able to stop. Were a car to be that close to me when I was driving I'd have a few words.

The other thing apparent to me was the cyclist under-taking cars. Should a car have to swerve in for whatever reason then the cyclist is at danger. In both of these situations would the cyclist be at fault?

I've been watching out for drivers going through red lights since this thread was started. So far this week I've seen around 15 cars and 3 Dublin Bus busses.

I'd probably see at least 3 Dublin buses a day go through a red light at the corner of Harcourt Street and Earlsfort Terrace back when we were in town. That would be while walking up to cross the road.

we are changing to the uk system soon, ie red amber, so they will have 2 chances to jump lights.

Our driving habits are dreadful, breaking red lights, zig-zagging all over the place, speeding, road-raging etc etc. And, all for what - to get to the next red light.

And, all for what - to get to the next red light.
True. Get rid of the lights and we'd all be better off. Traffic moved much better the time they broke down in the centre of Tullamore. And the ones they put up at the Hunstman in Galway, in place of the old roundabout, are a disaster. What is it with Councils and bloody lights? They put more and more of them up causing, in many cases, bigger and bigger traffic jams. Ridiculous. But it's probably so some local councillor can say they did something.

A lot of driver’s jump the lights because there is an exceptional long waiting time on the red, ie the sequence is slow.
I regularly go around the West Cork roundabout and the sequence is set so that you hit 3 sets of red lights to get around the rounabout.
In the USA there are cameras that can catch red light jumpers, we need some here.

I can't imagine that so many people are in so much of a hurry that there needs to be so much red-light abuse, but I see it myself all the time.

The one that is most abused is the temporary roadworks lights. Nearly everytime I have to go through these you end up getting a green, but your line of traffic has to wait for about 5 or 10 cars to come on past you 1st, meaning they all jumped their red light at the other end.

Once I was at temporary lights and at the head of the queue, I got a green and it changed back to red again before the line coming towards me had passed !! That really messed things up.

I remember those temp work lights (you don't see them so much anymore). There was one I use to go through about once a week and like you said, I'd get a green light and would have to wait for 10 - 15 cars to pass.

I was usually first in the queue as I would stop on a red light.

One morning just shortly after I got through (10 minutes or so) the cars met in the middle, the road was blocked for an hour or so, as 40 or so cars had to reverse back to the lights.

I'm not religious or superstitious but I had an important meeting that morning and remember thinking I was rewarded for not jumping red lights.

Dangerous, illegal and tells tourists we're a bunch of cowboys.
4 penalty points on the spot with 6 if you go to court and the problem would be fixed overnight.

Back