How do I clean a duvet?

pansyflower

Suggestions welcome, please, for washing/cleaning a feather-filled duvet.

It is washable, 30 degrees, but too big to fit in machine.

Reason: cat was naughty.

Suggestions welcome, please, for washing/cleaning a feather-filled duvet.

It is washable, 30 degrees, but too big to fit in machine.

Reason: cat was naughty.

Lol, coincidence, i've a 5 year old who had a "slip up", luckily we've an industrial washer in work, althought it wasnt feather filled.. Best bet would be to ring a dry cleaners..

Dry-cleaning a duvet is quite expensive these days, and imo doesn't really do a good job.

Either soak it in the bath as PaddyBloggit suggests, or go to a laundrette and see if it will fit in the washers there.

Bring it to the launderette yourself - thier machines have much bigger drums. I do this once a year with all the duvets in my house. I bring a book and a flask of coffee and have a relaxing couple of hours to myself. I usually do mine in the summer and bring them home to dry outdoors but I'm sure they'd fit in the dryers there too.

That's a great idea re laundrette. It's a nearly new duvet, sewn in squares that work really well to keep filling in place. Lidl of course!

Theres a possibility it will go lumpy if washed in a launderette .......

Dry-cleaning may be expensive ........but work out cheaper in the long run......

I suggest you seek clarity from a laundreette on how they expect it to turn out , before proceeding with this idea

I got a double duvet cleaned a while ago in the laundrette and I think it cost around 17 euros. Similar situation to yours OP - a naughty cat :)

I wash my feather filled one in the washing machine & it's fine...my sons is abit older than ours and I notice it's not as fluffy as it was (but it's probably due for replacing at this stage....they all have a lifespan & the cost of dry cleaning is probably not worth it.

You have to launder a feather filled quilt. The best way is to bring it to the launderette who will wash it in their very large machine. More importantly is how they dry it; It must be tumble dried otherwise the feathers will clump and become uneven and lumpy.

my youngest daughter threw up over her duvet at Xmas (strawberries and chocolate !) nice mess. anyway, took it to launderette next day as too big for my WM, 13.5 tog double size feather duvet. put it in their biggest machine, cost £5 sterling. didnt put it in the dryer as this would cost a small fortune. it is a tonne weight when wet so make sure you bring a big black bin liner to bring it home in. i dried it over 2-3 days across the clothes horse and put the heavy bits of it directly on the radiator. i was a bit concerned at first when i removed the duvet from the wash machine but no prob in the end when it fully dried out and the feathers spread out in their squares. make sure you give the duvet a good shake 3-4 times a day to shake up the feathers during the drying process. but of course if you want to dry it at the laundry then be prepared to feed the machine !

My duvets are all polyester filled but I have a down filled jacket which I machine wash and when I tumble dry it, I put those dryer balls in the drier with it (used to use tennis balls) and that helps with making the feathers plump out.

Update -
Local drycleaner doesn't do duvets.
Laundrette quoted €20 to wash/dry, so purchased new duvet [same kind] in Lidl January sale for €29.99.
Handwashed relevant part of original duvet, worked out fine but prefer to use new one!!

Hi All

Just read through the replies to cleaning a duvet, I know someone who owns a launderette and she gets quite a few duvets coming into her, although you might give your dry cleaner the duvet to clean that does not mean it is going to be dry cleaned, generally they are washed. The reason the pricing for washing and drying a duvet seems expensive is due to the drying of the duvets, you can't put a duvet into a dryer for say 40 minutes and expect it to be dry, although it will feel dry, after a while it will start to sweat, so needs to go back into the dryer.

In relation to feathered duvets, unless it is dried after washing, it will start to smell.

She would advise our customers on pricing and sometimes even suggest just buying a new duvet as it can sometimes work out cheaper.

Regards

Hizzy

I've read somewhere that feather duvets and pillows should not be dry-cleaned. I think one reason was that the chemicals used might harm the feather filling and make it less effective, another reason was the risk of chemicals being left behind in something that you spend several hours per day in such close proximity to.

We recently had a feather filled duvet laundered by a dry cleaners. It worked out okay, but some feather pillows that we had done at the same time came back with substantial (water) stains on them. We returned the pillows, which they washed again, but some of the stains persisted. We presumed that they left the pillows sitting somewhere while damp. Next time we'll launder them ourselves in a laundrette.

I own a Launderette and we take in dry cleaning and send it out. We will launder almost any duvet. When it comes to dry cleaning we are very very reluctant to dry clean bed linen but some customers insist. I was told when I first took over that dry cleaning any bed linen is banned in USA but don't know that for a fact. The chemicals in dry cleaning are very very toxic - I wouldn't dry clean any of mine.

What I would recommend is finding a dry cleaners who have a wetcleaning or Aqua machine and get it cleaned using that.

Back