Drogheda? Your two cents, please!

moneygrower

[broken link removed]=
Does this look like a good price? I have no idea what would be reasonable in Drogheda or what this area is like, any opinions welcome!
Haven't been to see it yet.

Re: anyone from Drogheda? Your two cents please!

Just checked the local rag but it ain't in there yet. Normally a variance in price listed on myhome and the local paper!

Not sure where Clinton's Lane is - be careful it's not further on out the Marsh Road than Scotch Hall as that area is prone to flooding.

What it has going for it is it's proximity to Scotch Hall and the bus and train station so should be potential there for rental income.

Let me know how you get on as I am also looking at buying in the town - was considering a new 2 bedroomed apartment..

Just looking on myhome.ie and this caught my eye...

[broken link removed]

2 bedroom apartment literally a stone's throw from both Scotch Hall and the new Shopping Centre due to open in Laurence Street. Has a parking space and all which I would imagine is hard to come by in town these days. Not sure about the EUR800 per month rental yield though...

Drawbacks would probably be the fact that it is top floor and it's a shared bathroom..

Anyone else got any views on it?

Moneygrower

I'm from Drogheda now living in Dublin but have a house in drogheda and keep an ear to the ground all the time
The houses in Clintons lane are off Duleek Street are in a small cul de sac a row of 7 houses , there is an entrance to St Mary's Secondary school from the lane , it's a very large busy boys school , there is also a pillar support group for people affected by drug users in one of the houses ( as far as I know). There is a shop at the corner which is quite busy and the local pub is the Pheasant ,I wouldn't drink in it , the nearest then is the Millmount ok now but rumours are it is being taken over . There is also a planning application for two houses at the rear of rockville estate that backs onto clinton lane which you might want to check out
Area is ok a lot of small corporation type house around nothing exciting and in my mind a bit drab nothing going for it

On the plus side it is near the town ( Historic Millmount monument is near) ,shopping centre , train station and M1
Personally ,if I were you ,and looking for this type of hose I would be looking at some of the roads off the Chord ( Cord road ) much nicer area and similar prices
hope this helps let me know if I can help in any other way
Ps house is same price in local paper

[broken link removed]
forgot to add this money grower it might be of use

Fair play Patricia, a fairly comprehensive breakdown there.

What did you think of the apartment. Think it is just off Shop Street - in behind the Sound Shop. Quite a bit of work done on that area - can see it really taking off given it's location between West Street and Scotch Hall..

hi paul
these are in what was once an old mill converted a few years ago into apartments they are alright but I wouldn't be mad about them .There is quite a large number of them both in this area and further along the quays There has been quite a number of them for sale/for rent over the past while and there is also another disused mill for sale on the North Strand A lot of Drogheda's immigrant population live in around here.
The area is known as the Low Lanes and was derelict for a number of years ladies of the night plied there trade around here( and still do!! ) as the port and it's merchant ships are right beside it .( port is set to develop further ) Further along the North Strand , just off Constitution Hill there is a half way house for homeless men Some anti social behaviour in the area

On the plus side yes you are right in the town , drogheda has a large immigrant population both from inside and outside the EU living and working in the town who like to live in the centre , there is the Drogheda school of further education down the Twenties which caters for a lot of overseas students , two new shopping centres , new leisure centre /swimming pool opening next week , new art gallery just up the steps from batchelors lane in the old franciscan church .Lots of new businesses opening Nice walks out to Donors Green Don't think that nearness to train station /M1 would be of relevance to prospective tentants here .
So depending on your market it could be ok but bear in mind for a few years there was for sale /let signs everywhere in this area. When I was buying a few years ago I didn't even consider them . There's nice apartments on Dyer Street ( behind Wogans I,m not too sure how much they are ) Also Section 23 on the old mart on Magdelene St ( pronounced magdillon by locals !! ) these were a bit pricey, in my opinion ,as they were section 23 but nicer area.

let me know if you want info, on any other area

ps sorry reply might be a bit all over the place but it's lunch time and I'm hungry !

Patricia,

Once more, many thanks for the excellent insight - I can only presume you work in the property sector. The feedback is very much appreciated..

I've been looking around recently for something in the town, spotted a place on the Chord Road and another in Mell so might line up some viewings...

Thanks again..

I take it you are buying to let,there is loads of rental property in drogheda and rents haven't risen much in a long time.I wouldn't touch that calender place with a barge pole,sale prices in drogheda have gone through the roof recently and rents remain the same,so be very careful with a buy to let.

cheers thewatcher,

Considering buying to let.

Mind you I have been considering for a couple of years now and a large part of me is inclined to hold off and see what happens over the next year or so.

I have a few bob to invest and property is just one of the areas I am looking into. I take your point about the rental property in Drogheda, have been keeping a close eye on the local papers and have seen falls in rent been asked in various areas recently. No shortage of 'To Let' signs either walking around the town..

That in mind, I have a few bob to cover a lean period should it come and I'm not convinced that the bottom will fall out of the market altogether (I'd be in it for the long run)...

Paul
Couldn't be any further from the property business!!Just love my home town and always enjoy going home even after 30 years in dublin .People in general are honest and direct it has had it's fair share of crime in the past but the new superintendent has done a great job in cleaning up the town has had a bit of a drug problem as well
Mell is good near the M1, and new retail park , a settled area. Local school is crowded but new one has been given ahead, near to hospital too
My preference would be the Chord road has always had a good reputation , near to everything mentioned before. A lot of sea faring families used to live along here and many buried in the Chord cemetery but so is Ireland's last highwayman! ( this also has been a site for anti social behaviour in tha past so don't buy too near it )Houses on RHS coming up from Laurence's ( pronounced Larnses )Gate have sunny gardens and some have great views over the river , not discernable from the road. Roads off the chord are good also possible slightly cheaper as locally would be percieved to be not as good .For resale purposes houses have always sold well along here.Nice mix of houses Good quiet settled area nice pubs and amenties. Expect rent about 800 for 3 bed On the downside parking can be pretty bad during the day and older houses would need a bit of work , newer houses such as Sienna, Rosehill are very nice too Sycamore further up are lovely but only have one bathroom , which can be a minus for people sharing
In summary go for the town , preferably a 2/3 bed house charge fair rent vet tenants very carefully as I have heard of a few incidences of people being stung by a group of people doing the rounds of rented hoses in the town ,and you won't go too far wrong . In general I think people have problems renting in the outlying estates such as termon abbey, knockbrack downs etc ( I'm open to correction )l
when you see the large multiples moving into town you know that they've done their home work and workers have to live somewhere , preferably in the town
best of luck and go and have a look at the cadavers in St Peters COI on Peter Steet and Ollies head in the St Peter RC if you can

Patricia,

as a person from Drogheda what you would say about Pearse Park, have looked at a house there (doer upper) but have heard different things about the area most of which seems to be based on what it was like years ago.

thanks for any help you can give.

Hi Patricia, just logged on now and want to thank you for your reply. I don't know Drogheda at all so it's great to get the low down. I might keep an eye on the local papers as there's probably more there than on myhome.ie
Thanks again, I'll be referring back to your post as I search : :)

hi Patricia,
just had a look again on myhome, if I could up the budget I'd be laughing!
[broken link removed]=

Healan72

Pearse Park now is largely a settled area now many years ago it had a little bit of a name . Built by the Corporation many years ago but now largely owner occupied . I've always felt there was it was a bit of a snob element by people on the "far Side "( Drogheda is divided by the Boyne the southside in the Dioceses of Meath and the North side in the Dioceses of Armagh hence the term (not some unearthly and sinister place as per Gary Larson !!!) who would say Pearse Park ugh!!. I have to say I've always liked the look of these houses one in local paper this week for €275 renovated . I can check with my sister who would know that area better over the weekend . Good supermarket Mc Donnells nearby
Very near the hospital and the school of further education down the Twenties and you can fly over Gallows lane to the motorway . A little bit further of a walk to the town and you can get caught with traffic on the one way system but a safe bet in my book. will check back in on Monday

Paul

not if I get there first !!, these are gorgeous , loads of wow factor and fabulous views used to walk by here on the way to school many many years ago good article in local paper about these this week ( if you don't get it I can fax or email it to you i've never used the pm but i'll try )
for info local paper does an article "down our way "which highlights a different area of the town each week and talks to the residents so could be of interest

Tommy Byrne auctioneer is a good local estate agent if you want to look him up also Drogheda on the Web has a list of other local estate agents

have to sign off now but ill check in over weekend if you want further info.

Smashing house alright! Crazy when you compare the quality in this to the homes reputably going for 1.7 million on the outskirts of town!!

Hi there,
If you are looking to rent out, decide who you're preferred tenants are going to be. On the south side of droghed you have a few developments on the old Dublin Belfast road with apartments on them, 2nd hand ones can be found in the Wheaton Hall / Bryanstown manor area. You find a lot of people working in Dublin rent here as rentals for 2-bed are around the Eu750 mark, and they are 5-10 min walk from train station, with bus stops along the road.
Scotch Hall has apartments also available, Felicity Fox is selling them, and up to 3 weeks ago there was still availability there (I got their brochure sent to me along, and the 2-beds were Eu285-345K range). There was 1 x 1-bed only reminaing at that time, I'm assuming it may be gone now!
There is also a new development going up alongside Scotch Hall, called something like South Quay...(i'll check the board over the weekend and give you more info them).
As a couple of other posters said, I'd avoid Calendar house, a lot of the blocks in that area are mainly rented out, so there doesn't seem to be the same sort of pride in the surroundings as an owner/occupier might have.
Chord Road / Mell / Wheaton Hall are all areas I've experience with and would recommend, with the following exceptins:
- Chord road has a lot people parking there for the day to avoid paying for parking, so can be 'fun' to negotiate during daylight hours!
- Mell is a lovely area, but with the connection to the M1 and the new retail parks at the top of Mell, sometimes the traffic can be a challenge!
- Wheaton hall may be ideal for renting, as on the estate you do have a Spar, Chinese (closes at midnight so you don't get rowdy crowds too late), a good butcher, video/dvd rental place, dry cleaners and a beauty salon...

Re: Anyone from Drogheda? Your two cents, please!

South Quay is being sold by a local estate agency O'Brien Collins.

Re: Anyone from Drogheda? Your two cents, please!

Helan72

checked out Pearse Park
pretty quiet know the undesirable element moved to Moneymore when it was built some years ago

Back