Not just a recession - how to prepare

I was just looking at this thread from last year, and was wondering how far along are we now?

I believe there will be major strike action over the next few months. The riots will probably happen after either:
1. The introduction of Property tax
or
2. Social welfare payments being slashed.

It needs something like that, I would put my bets on a tax, such as property or water etc. If you lose a few quid in you pay, that is one thing, but if you have to stump up a €1,000+ as a separate tax it is another. Even if it is the same amount of money.
Or maybe the new Universal Social Contribution, to fund the Department of Social Protection will be the trigger, especially if it is as high as some of the other EU social insurance.

There will be strikes, there won't be blood.
I really don't know about riots on the streets. Perhaps time will prove me wrong. My guess is that most people will complain, shrug and then get on with it.
Outbreaks of violence against "the man" are not that common here.

I was just looking at this thread from last year, and was wondering how far along are we now?

It will have to be something that affects both private and public sector workers. Otherwise, they will be too busy fighting each other to take it to the government.

It will have to be something that affects both private and public sector workers. Otherwise, they will be too busy fighting each other to take it to the government.

Why do posters persist with that guff?
The recession is hitting all sections of society. The difference is that most people in the private sector accept that the government has to make major cuts in order to stop total economic collapse whereas most people in the public sector (who post here anyway) don't seem to live in the real world.

It's hard, it's not always fair and it stinks... but it's necessary. Suck it up and deal with it.

But surely if I get a gun and shoot someone trying to steal my tinned prunes, I'll do 20 years for it.

Sounds like a bad plan to me.

But surely if I get a gun and shoot someone trying to steal my tinned prunes, I'll do 20 years for it.

Sounds like a bad plan to me.

What if you REALLY REALLY like tinned prunes?

Then it might seem a more reasonble approach to pop a cap in some random prune thief.

Its all subjective really.

;-)

Why do posters persist with that guff?
The recession is hitting all sections of society. The difference is that most people in the private sector accept that the government has to make major cuts in order to stop total economic collapse whereas most people in the public sector (who post here anyway) don't seem to live in the real world.

It's hard, it's not always fair and it stinks... but it's necessary. Suck it up and deal with it.

Where in my post did I say the recession was not hitting all sections of society, did I compain about unfair cuts or that public sector employees don't accpet major cuts have to be made?
My point is that if something is going to get people on the streets against the government, it will be have to an issue that affects everyone, possible a property tax as previously suggested.

I believe there will be major strike action over the next few months. The riots will probably happen after either:
1. The introduction of Property tax
or
2. Social welfare payments being slashed.

Ahem, where have you been, property tax came in last year and has to be paid again after March 31st

That's 'property tax lite'. This was just to introduce it gradually.
Wait until it's €2000 per property, regardless of income, for all residential property.

Thought provoking thread!

Ok I must start stocking up on the necessities.

So far that's chocolate and condoms.

Thought provoking thread!

Ok I must start stocking up on the necessities.

So far that's chocolate and condoms.

Yes, chocolate is an excellent source of energy and condoms can be used to carry up to one litre of water... what's what you mean, right?

Back