BOI Smart Funds - What to do

H

Hopeful10

Hi

I invested €30,000 in BoI Smart funds in Feb 08. The majority of the funds were invested in Evergreen funds and the rest was with in Innovator funds. To make a long story short the funds fell very quickly. The lowest rate that they dropped to was €19,000 in March 09 and they are currently at €24,000. I really want to make the most with this money and am wondering what to do. Should I leave the money there and wait for it to come back up or should I take the €24,000 now and try to recoup the losses elsewhere?

Any advice would be most greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Oh dear ! Welcome to my world. I invested heavily in these funds in 2006 and have had an ongoing battle with them ever since. Their customer service is probably the most pathetic outfit in the entire country. My debacle is well documented on AAM and will soon have its own web site showing and evidencing all and sundry the joys of investing with Bank of Ireland.

But to answer your query, it really is not for me or any other poster to advise you on an open forum as to what direction you should make or take. The recovery of your funds has not been that bad considering the meltdown as to what already occurred.

Moving forward, take a look around and see where you think your investments may be better serviced. Speak with an independent Broker or search the Web as it is your choice ultimately.

Question, were you put on any special Allocation Bonus or reduced Management Charge ?? There are a heap of investment products on the market with one thing in common. They are all sold commission basis so whoever sells it to you will be creaming off the top no matter up or down. In the main they are investing in the same products and markets: equity investments, so its the charges that will count long term.

There is a chance in the near future that BoI and New Ireland products (SMART Funds), might be either sold or existing holdings transferred via a different regime but with the same Financial Provider on a drastically reduced Management Charge than what policyholders and / or new customers are on or being sold currently or in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for your reply Mercman. I am not sure about the management charges to be honest, would have to check my paperwork. I am sorry to hear that you have also had issues with this shower! Its a disaster. My gut is to cut my losses but then I feel that it has recovered well in the last year so maybe I should stick around. Anyhow, thanks for your help. It is good just to get other people's opinions and points of view.

I am not sure about the management charges to be honest, would have to check my paperwork.

You are probably being charged 1.5% for the Evergreen Fund and 1.65% for the Innovator. The new offer if passed and approved by the Financial Regulator should operate at 0.4% approximately.

That sounds about right Mercman. Is that change expected this year? Do you think it will effect the value of the funds? Thanks so much for your help.

Is that change expected this year? Do you think it will effect the value of the funds? Thanks so much for your help.

Yes I do think it will happen quite soon. Exact date cannot be confirmed at this moment in time.

The only way if will effect the funds is to make them rise against a current price on the day that a valuation is requested. Management Fees are implicit within a fund. BoI Life and / or New Ireland will have to credit each fund holder with the difference that is implicit within the fund versus the charge that is on offer.

I have absolutely no experience in such matters as I am sure you have guessed by now. I am not in any rush to make a decision so I will probably wait and see what happens in the coming months! Thanks again for your help

BoI Life and / or New Ireland will have to credit each fund holder with the difference that is implicit within the fund versus the charge that is on offer.[/quote]

Would you mind explaining this a little further Mercman? I am unsure of how they will do this. Many thanks

Basically if a Policy holder is on a special deal from the Financial Provider or broker or both, in this case BoI or New Ireland Assurance.The normal Management Fee is implicit within the fund. Therefore in the case of a special deal, the Provider issues additional fund units to the value of the fund(s) to make and allow for the compensation of the deal offered.

There is a chance in the near future that BoI and New Ireland products (SMART Funds), might be either sold or existing holdings transferred via a different regime but with the same Financial Provider on a drastically reduced Management Charge.

Mercman, is this a real possibility ? Haven't seen or read anything about it in the media. Will all fund holdings of these institutions be eligible into this scheme ?

Hi,

I am about ot look into investing in lump sum and was going to speak to the BoI rep...are ye saying I can get the same products from an Independent broker for less management fees??

On a side note, anyone any advice on what SMART fund they think will be the best performer - thinking 3-5 yr investment.

Hi,

I am about ot look into investing in lump sum and was going to speak to the BoI rep...are ye saying I can get the same products from an Independent broker for less management fees??

On a side note, anyone any advice on what SMART fund they think will be the best performer - thinking 3-5 yr investment.

I have enough files to give reason as to why not to invest with SMART Funds. After 40 months of pure hell, spoof, lies lies and more lies, then the Financial Ombudsman, The High Court and still not fixed up yet I would well advise choosing another Investment Provider.

It is impossible to say which fund would be the best to invest in. Nobody can look into the future. There will be a provider/broker very soon that will be able to offer these funds at a vastly reduced Management Fee if you still haven't lost interest.

I have enough files to give reason as to why not to invest with SMART Funds. After 40 months of pure hell, spoof, lies lies and more lies, then the Financial Ombudsman, The High Court and still not fixed up yet I would well advise choosing another Investment Provider.

It is impossible to say which fund would be the best to invest in. Nobody can look into the future. There will be a provider/broker very soon that will be able to offer these funds at a vastly reduced Management Fee if you still haven't lost interest.

Thanks Mercman....you have convinced me, think I will call into an independent advisor - even though i often wonder if such a thing exists...maybe he will advise me to wait for the resuced fee as well...thanks again.

bor, please ensure that no matter what you are offered get it in writing. It was this that made me have a case in the first instance -- oh promises promises, I could literally write a book on it.

I was just thinking, an Independent adviser will not be able to help you in the case of a problem. They get treated like muck as well by the Financial Providers. Do your own research first, of everything available in the market.

Will do....cant be too careful these days, too many horror stories out there...hope you get yours sorted soon -

Might end up playing safe and just lumping it in a 3% fixed term deposit a/c for 6 mts...market doesnt seem to be ready for any big jumps quiet yet..

Should I leave the money there and wait for it to come back up or should I take the €24,000 now and try to recoup the losses elsewhere?

Any advice would be most greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Just to point out also Hopeful10 you need to consider also that you will not be liable for DIRT tax on the BOI Smart funds up to the point where you would at least be re-couping your initial investment of 30k. On the other hand if you were to encash now and realize a 6k loss you cannot roll over this loss against any gains made in a new investment Fund for DIRT tax purposes. You will immediately be liable to DIRT tax for any gains made in the new investment Fund upon encashement. Hence I would advise that it is anticipated that the new Funds are expected to significantly outperform the Smart Funds before you make any move.

liable for DIRT tax on the BOI Smart funds up to the point where you would at least be re-couping your initial investment of 30k. On the other hand if you were to encash now and realize a 6k loss you cannot roll over this loss against any gains made in a new investment Fund for DIRT tax purposes. You will immediately be liable to DIRT tax for any gains made in the new investment Fund upon encashement. Hence I would advise that it is anticipated that the new Funds are expected to significantly outperform the Smart Funds before you make any move.

Stevie, you have your taxes mixed up. You mean CGT not DIRT tax. CGT is applicable to Capital Gains. DIRT is applicable to monies on deposit. Nobody can say which funds will outperform others, so you are wrong to advise on these matters.

Back