Selling Vodafone shares - clueless

Shei

Sick of getting my tiny dividends and wads of paper on my 78 Vodafone shares. How do I go about selling them with minimal cost? Will I have to pay tax? Will the bitter memories ever fade?

to be honest i would think it is hardly worth selling - what is the current price ? 163p or so? that would be £127.14 convert to €190 (estimated) fee to sell €25 min i would think ....... check best buys etc. This would not leave you with much ...... maybe hold on and wait for a miricale :)

if you decide to sell then you would go through a broker e.g. sharewatch and they will handle the sale on your behalf. you should check the best buys to find out the cheapest. there are also various other posts detailing peoples experiences with various stockbrokers - you might also want to view these.

I doubt you would pay tax. You get a CGT allowance each year of €1,270 - once your total proceeds from the sale of chargeable assets (less purchase and selling costs) in the current year don't exceed this, then there would be no CGT payable. (if shares / other assets are in joint names the yearly allowance would be €2,540)

Postal share dealing service
A low cost postal share dealing service is available for holders of 1000 shares or less through our Registrars, Computershare Investor Services PLC. Shareholders may use the service to either increase their holding or sell their entire holding. The commission is £12.50 or €19.00. In addition stamp duty, currently at 0.5%, is payable on purchases. Shareholders wishing to take advantage of this service should contact Computershare at the address given below to obtain the necessary documentation.

See this webpage:

[broken link removed]

Alternatively you could sign up for the dividend reinvestment plan and have the dividends reinvested in shares and hold long term (which depends on your age and financial condition). This is still in my opinion much better than leaving the €190 in the bank. The value is too small (I think) to be worried about risk and Vodafone has actually been doing quite well lately. Its possible your shares may be bought out in a takeover or by private equity which would eliminate the possibility of having to pay any commission to a stockbroker. There is a lot of interest in Vodafones new strategy in India and of selling off parts of the company.
We got Vodafone and Eircon share paper at the height of the dot com bubble so these companies are not as much to blame for the bad share price we bought in at as the greedy people who bidded all share prices up to unsustainable levels at the time.

I'd like to know at what price for Vodafone do we recover our initial eircon investment ? Does anybody know ? :confused:
I would really love to know this.

I'd like to know at what price for Vodafone do we recover our initial eircon investment ? Does anybody know ? :confused:
I would really love to know this.
Tricky to calculate at this stage due to the various splits, takeovers, payments etc. since the original eircom days. You could start here if you were inclined to try though:

CGT losses on eircom shares

Hi

Just wondering, if a number of "small" shareholders pooled togeather, signed their original share certs and delivered them togeather could they sell them under one trade with a stock broker and save the fees ?

It's very unfortunite, the way there are so many (ex Eircom) small Vodafone shareholders stuck with small numbers of shares they cannot sell due to the costs -vs- overall return and with such small dividends (sterling cheques, which probably cost to convert and lodge ?) it's not like they really want to keep the Vodafone shares in many instances I've heard about.

Thanks

G>
ps - thankfully one of the few who got out of Eircom at a good time, though not as good as those who've gone through few ownership changes needless to say ;)

I thought that the Vodafone small shareholder postal dealing service had relatively competitive charges albeit probably no option to do limit orders?

...with such small dividends (sterling cheques, which probably cost to convert and lodge ?) ...

In my opinion anybody who is stuck with a tiny amount of these shares they are not selling should not be receiving sterling cheques for tiny amounts which they will be charged to cash in and also charged to convert into euro currency. They should be signed up to the DRIP dividend reinvestment plan.

I'm very pleased with my last/second last DRIP purchase as I have received a return of about 50% on that price since then. It could reverse direction next time, who knows, but its a very good value and efficient method of investing the dividend and if held long term theres the hope of eventually building up a decent enough sized holding to sell properly.

I got some bumpf in the post today and it looks like you can register online and sell shares, the markets are closed now but I went as far as I could and it looks straightforward enough. I am trying to flog some shares belonging to somebody who is dead almost since the original flotation so hopefully I have finally figured out how to liquidate these by getting the money deposited into my bank account.

The link to this service was posted earlier in this thread!

Yes but i got some serial numbers and stuff in the post which presumably I need.

Anybody know what the breakeven point is to get our initial investment back? I guesstimate its about £3 - roughly double what it is now.

Unless you are a new shareholder you should presumably have had the shareholder reference number already? Do you have all your share certs in a safe place?

The question about the breakeven value was asked recently but I can't locate the thread at the moment. Due to the different events over the years since the original eircom shares were issued it's difficult to calculate the breakeven figure as far as I know.

No, I have no share cert and this online option looks like it does not need them? I probably have the shareholder reference number before but never got around to it.

You should either have shares or a nominee account containing your shareholding. You need to ascertain which.

You should either have shares or a nominee account containing your shareholding. You need to ascertain which.

My understanding is that there were share certificates at one stage but this online dealing service appears to avoid the need to have them in your hand?

I don't think so and assume that if you hold your shares in certificate form then you need to pass these certs to the broker when selling. Otherwise they will need information about your nominee account. Can you quote (copy & paste) the relevant information that leads you to believe that this is not the case?

I don't think so and assume that if you hold your shares in certificate form then you need to pass these certs to the broker when selling. Otherwise they will need information about your nominee account. Can you quote (copy & paste) the relevant information that leads you to believe that this is not the case?

Using the bumpf I got yesterday I managed to get an online page which allowed me to sell the shares except the market was closed so it said they would be sold when the market opened. However these were my wifes shares and not the dead persons so I will get my hands on the dead persons bumpf and try it and let you know, but from the way I read it all I needed to do was press the execute button and the shares would have been sold at that price.

Lots of interest in vodafone all of a sudden as the share price rises.

I am trying to flog some shares belonging to somebody who is dead almost since the original flotation so hopefully I have finally figured out how to liquidate these by getting the money deposited into my bank account.
You cannot sell shares belonging to somebody else! The executor of the will should have dealt with this by transferring the shares into the name of the beneficiary of the will.

They forgot about these at the time so I am trying to get rid of the shares ever since, never actually got round to it though, although now it appears possible without major hassle.

Are you sure? My father's Vodafone shares are marked "U/D" whatever that means and cannot be touched until we eventually get them transferred to my mother's name which - 5 years on - we have still not managed to do! :( Maybe our mistake was to say anything to them about his death and if we had said nothing we could have sold them?

Back