Outlet Pipe at base of Toilet Cistern Leaking - How to Fix??

FTB2006

Hi All,

Havent seen my problem answered on any other post. Basically, there is a narrow pipe connected to a plastic outlet at the base of our en-suite cistern and this started to drip slowly onto the floor last night. I've wrapped in with a towel and tried to tighten it, but couldnt get it tighter than it is.

I then tried to investigate how I could empty the cistern and detach / re-attach the pipe, but didnt get very far.

We moved in 6 weeks ago, and havent seen a drip until now. Can anyone advise what I should do? I'd a FTB, so am trying to get all small things like this fixed myself without paying plumbers call out charges etc...

Thanks in advance,
FTB

Last edited:
Re: Outlet Pipe at base of Tiolet Cistern Leaking - How to Fix??

Hi FTB2006, this sounds like an overflow pipe. Is it the joint between the cistern and this outlet that's the problem or is it water flowing out through the pipe?

If it's the joint, you'll need to turn off the water to the cistern and empty it to investigate.

Could you check inside the cistern and see if the water level is at that of the overflow? If so, you should be able to adjust the ball cock or valve where the water enters so that it shuts off before the water reaches that level. There's usually a screw provided for adjustment.
Leo

Hi Leo,

Thank you for your reply. An onsite plumber just called and said that the problem was caused by our tiler when he was fitting tiles behind the cistern. He disturbed the pipe that allows water flow into the cistern, and caused damage to the point the pipe joins the cistern.

Im going to have a look when I get home.

Do you know anywhere I can get instructions on the workings of a toilet. We have on of those "push button at the top of the cistern" ones, and I want to know how to take the lid off the toilet, clear the cistern of waterr, shut off the water to the cistern etc.... they dont teach you this in school!

Thanks,
FTB

Hi FTB2006, [broken link removed] has some info on cisterns. DIYData also has some good info on creating compression joints, should you need to re-do any.

Given that the problem is with the feed, you'll only need to shut off the supply to the cistern and shouldn't have to worry about emptying it.

[broken link removed] site has instructions on how to install one of these push button cisterns, so may be of help. If you know the manufacturer of your one, look up their web site for more specific instructions.
Leo

Hi Leo,

Will look through those - thanks again,

FTB

Do you know anywhere I can get instructions on the workings of a toilet. We have on of those "push button at the top of the cistern" ones, and I want to know how to take the lid off the toilet, clear the cistern of waterr, shut off the water to the cistern etc.... they dont teach you this in school!

Thanks,
FTB

Pushbutton is screwed onto the cable assembly, careful not to kink the cable as it will get stuck. Is your cistern connected using a flexible steel braided hose? If so there should be a rubber washer in the end - the plumber may have lost it.

If the leak is where the plastic insert comes out of the cistern I'd drain the cistern remove the unscrew the nut, slean and dry the insert and area around the hole and apply some silicone before sqeezing it up again.

Back