Conor Cunningham ... hero?

You would put off going to the euros because a guy gets some coverage off the back of our win? surely that is an attitude as childish as any.

Think you should re-read my post.

It has nothing to do with some chancer getting TV coverage or selling his "story" to the Star or whatever. It's to do with Irish people "having the craic" by being disrespectful of locals abroad - be that going on Trams in Munich and not paying, bunking into stadiums (which lets remember caused Hillsborough) and acting the maggot going around locked out of their heads. This guys antics are symptomatic of that.

I'm still likely to go though!

If you blag while wearing wearing a suit, you're a hero entrepreneur (and potential President). If you blag while wearing a tracksuit, you're a scumbag.

If you blag while wearing wearing a suit, you're a hero entrepreneur (and potential President). If you blag while wearing a tracksuit, you're a scumbag.

I'm not disagreeing with this at all. I see scumbags equally, but it's a good point.

I'm not disagreeing with this at all. I see scumbags equally, but it's a good point.

I don't think it was a good point at all. I found it trite and childish.
I do agree with your other point; a scumbad is a scumbag, no matter what they are wearing.

I don't know why Complainer is having a go at David Norris though.

Having read some of the posts on this thread I wonder what kind of pe.ople are around this Forum. The majority seem to be a laughless lot. Conor Cunningham got into a stadium, saw a match, brought some footballs onto a field, got a terrific seat to view the match, congratulated the winners, waved to fans and made a great story that not only was funny but lifted our nation and gave us all a laugh on a wet morning going to work. I say Good on Ya Conor, you made me laugh.

Everybody sees the humour (except of course, our soi-disant "humourists" on here) - lads please don't invite me to your birthdays, I'd run out of excuses to leave early.

Compare the good humour of what happened to Conor Cunningham with the arrest of the guy who made it to the England Rugby Dressing room recently. He was arrested and charged. So guys, off you go and support the England Rugby Team.

Think you should re-read my post.

It has nothing to do with some chancer getting TV coverage or selling his "story" to the Star or whatever. It's to do with Irish people "having the craic" by being disrespectful of locals abroad - be that going on Trams in Munich and not paying, bunking into stadiums (which lets remember caused Hillsborough) and acting the maggot going around locked out of their heads. This guys antics are symptomatic of that.

I'm still likely to go though!

I just did and it looks nothing like your response, but anyways enjoy the euros.

Most people found his antics funny. Of course if he ended up with a few nights in an Estonian police cell we would have thought it very funny too.
But then of course its all part of the "craic" and Irish peoples opinion of they being the best supporters in the world.
Of course the R.T.E. freeloading broadcasters who will travel all expenses paid are encouraging everyone to get behind the boys in green and get into debt travelling to Poland and Ukraine

Most people found his antics funny. Of course if he ended up with a few nights in an Estonian police cell we would have thought it very funny too.
But then of course its all part of the "craic" and Irish peoples opinion of they being the best supporters in the world.
Of course the R.T.E. freeloading broadcasters who will travel all expenses paid are encouraging everyone to get behind the boys in green and get into debt travelling to Poland and Ukraine

I plan to travel to the euros with 4 of my mates & there is absolutely no question of any of us getting into debt to do so ( thank God )

Irish fans travel in numbers to major international sporting events & generally enjoy themselves & behave well - you really can't expect much more.

Really!, from a guy making a social analysis on the back of a light hearted story.

Well so far you haven't dealt with the specific issue ... that being why you consider theft and deception to be funny . Of course we have our unique way of looking at things in Ireland ... that's why we survive off pocket money from the rest of world.

I suppose since I've already been called unpatriotic I might as well go the whole hog and profess a dislike of the other national pastime - 'slagging' -too. I dislike the way that it's usually a license to insult people and that anything approaching actual humour in it, when it rarely arises, is 99% of the time excruciatingly obvious.

If you don't mind me asking, as we're getting personal, does you moral compass kick in when:

1/ Someone robs a tenner off you

2/ Someone robs €1000 off you

3/ You have to pay a few grand per year when someone else robs off you indirectly.

Oh, and one more if you don't mind. Do you admire Seanie Fitzpatrick? If not, why not?

Well so far you haven't dealt with the specific issue ... that being why you consider theft and deception to be funny . Of course we have our unique way of looking at things in Ireland ... that's why we survive off pocket money from the rest of world.

I suppose since I've already been called unpatriotic I might as well go the whole hog and profess a dislike of the other national pastime - 'slagging' -too. I dislike the way that it's usually a license to insult people and that anything approaching actual humour in it, when it rarely arises, is 99% of the time excruciatingly obvious.

If you don't mind me asking, as we're getting personal, does you moral compass kick in when:

3/ You have to pay a few grand per year when someone else robs off you indirectly.

Oh, and one more if you don't mind. Do you admire Seanie Fitzpatrick? If not, why not?

What did he steal? Did he take anyones seat? No, he sat on the sideline. He wore a Estonian tracksuit which was discarded. Generally kit is given away to fans at the end of a campaign anyway.

He did nothing wrong.

Comparing him to Seanie Fitz... Get a grip

What did he steal? Did he take anyones seat? No, he sat on the sideline. He wore a Estonian tracksuit which was discarded. Generally kit is given away to fans at the end of a campaign anyway.

He did nothing wrong.

Comparing him to Seanie Fitz... Get a grip

Ah sure, t'was only a small thing! Fitzie: Ah sure, t'was only a big thing!

Same attitude! Yet another responder who can't argue a point, but instead turns on me!

well what he did was wrong, there is no doubt about that, but if everybody obeyed all the rules all the time to the letter, we would live in the most law abiding country on earth! but also one of the most mind numbingly boring places on earth.

well what he did was wrong, there is no doubt about that, but if everybody obeyed all the rules all the time to the letter, we would live in the most law abiding country on earth! but also one of the most mind numbingly boring places on earth.
Germany!

I find some of 'dumbest criminals in the world' stories funny too, I find lots of stuff funny, I find your opinion on this matter excruciatingly stuffy.
To the best of my knowledge, people all over the world have a sense of humour, so i'm not alone in that and what we call slagging is also something that happens all over the world.

Regarding my moral compass, questions 1-3 and your bizarre Seanie reference all point to one thing; you really didn't find any humour in seeing Conor Cunningham handing a ball to the Estonian player during the match and then give a little look of aknowledgement to the camera, while I burst out laughing.

Loosen up Wicklowman, the whole caper here was fun. Nobody got hurt and nearly the entire country got a lift out of Conor Cunninghams escapade.

Back