How much tax will I pay on my earnings

junii

Hi,
I have started a new job in which I will be earning 25k per annum.
I want to start doing up my budget and I am wondering how much tax I should expect to pay each month or week. Surely it can't be on a percentage basis as I have heard before of people getting varying amounts of tax taken off them.

This is my first real job, what other things do I need to know.

Have you tried [broken link removed] to get an idea of what your deductions and net take home pay will be? Make sure to get your statement of tax credits ASAP and avoid emergency tax if at all possible. Make sure that you claim all tax credits/allowances available to you - see the Taxation forum key posts. Make sure to check and understand your payslips and not to expect your employer and Revenue to get it right automatically. Mistakes do happen! Also check your P60 each year and ask Revenue for a P21 balancing statement especially if you think that you may have over or under paid tax.

INCOME FROM EMPLOYMENTS €:
Income for Self 25000.0
Other Incomes/Benefits 0.0
--------
Gross Statutory Income 25000.0

CREDITS (@20%)€:
Personal Allowance 8800.0
PAYE Allowance 8800.0
Medical Insurance Allowance 0.0
Service Charge Allowance 0.0
--------
Total Credits (@20%) 17600.0

ALLOWANCES (@41%) €:
Med Expenses, Perm Health 0.0
Expenses 0.0
--------
Total Allowances 0.0

COMPUTATION OF NET TAX PAYABLE BY YOU €:
Gross Statutory Income 25000.0
Less Allowances before tax 0.0
--------
Taxable Income 25000.0
Which is chargeable as follows:
25000.0 @ 20% = 5000.0
0.0 @ 41% = 0.0
--------
Income Tax due 5000.0
LESS €:
Tax Credits (17600.0 @20%) 3520.0
Total Income Tax due 1480.0
Net Tax deducted under PAYE 0.0
--------
Tax Underpaid € 1480.0

These are my results. I do not fully understand this. I'll have a look through those key posts which seem quite complex in the next few days.

In the meantime would you mind helping me to digest the results of that calculator... So do I only have to pay 1480 per annum tax? That sounds very reasonable. €30 quid a week.

You need to refer to [broken link removed] to understand the figures. But basically a single person pays 20% tax on any earnings up to €32K p.a. and 41% on the remainder. Since you will earn €25K you pay 20% tax on the lot. Then you deduct your tax credits from this to get your net tax figure which is actually what you pay. The calculator assumes a certain number of standard/common tax credits but you may be entitled to more. In your case the calculator estimates that your net tax bill will be €1,480.

Your PRSI/health levy deductions are a bit more complicated but the calculator should be at least a good estimation of what you will pay (if not the exact figure). If you are on PRSI Class A then you will pay €1,236 p.a. in PRSI/health levy in addition to the tax figure above. However on €25K p.a. you may actually be on a different PRSI class - I'm not sure. See here for more.

The 1480 is the tax you wll pay this year if you earn 25K
But since you are starting now, and the tax year runs from jan to dec, you will actually pay less tax.
(note that this is important so that you don't get a shock next january when you start paying a full years tax)

For now, figure out roughly what you will be paid from now until the end of december ( roughly 25K / 12 * 7) + a few days in May.
Say ~ 15K
This will be your taxable pay
If you put that into the calculator you will see that you will not have to pay any tax this year. ( you will be under the threashold.)

Note, this depends on you getting your tax credit sorted out now, so that your employer is aware of your tax situation.

Also note you will have to pay PRSI

ETA: Note, I am assuming that by saying ' this is my first real job' that you mean that you had sumer jobs before so so haven't earned anything since the beginning of the year. If my assumption is wrong, you should ignore my reply

The 1480 is the tax you wll pay this year if you earn 25K
But since you are starting now, and the tax year runs from jan to dec, you will actually pay less tax.
(note that this is important so that you don't get a shock next january when you start paying a full years tax)

For now, figure out roughly what you will be paid from now until the end of december ( roughly 25K / 12 * 7) + a few days in May.
Say ~ 15K
This will be your taxable pay
If you put that into the calculator you will see that you will not have to pay any tax this year. ( you will be under the threashold.)

Note, this depends on you getting your tax credit sorted out now, so that your employer is aware of your tax situation.

Also note you will have to pay PRSI

ETA: Note, I am assuming that by saying ' this is my first real job' that you mean that you had sumer jobs before so so haven't earned anything since the beginning of the year. If my assumption is wrong, you should ignore my reply

Thank you for sharing this information with me. I am in a little bit of a complicated situation as I was doing some work recently for a company and it may be a week or two before I get my P45 and tax credit cert off them. Is there really a rush to get this to my employer?

Your earnings from the previous company are presumably assessable for income tax so if necessary you may need to do a Form 12 tax return to make sure that your tax affairs are up to date for 2007 (and previous years?).

You should get your P45 when you leave a job so I don't really see why there should be any delay. You don't get your tax credit cert from your (former) employer - you get this directly from Revenue and they also send your new employer a tax deduction card for payroll purposes. You want to get these things sorted ASAP when you take up a new job.

Your earnings from the previous company are presumably assessable for income tax so if necessary you may need to do a Form 12 tax return to make sure that your tax affairs are up to date for 2007 (and previous years?).

You should get your P45 when you leave a job so I don't really see why there should be any delay. You don't get your tax credit cert from your (former) employer - you get this directly from Revenue and they also send your new employer a tax deduction card for payroll purposes. You want to get these things sorted ASAP when you take up a new job.

It was a short stint so I would say im still in the non-taxable bracket.
It's my own fault really that I let it slip, it was a contract and i'd finished with them before I got the tax credit cert and all sorted. I had no p45 as I had not been working before in this tax year, I was doing a course. Anyways I waiting to get my final payments through this week and then will request the p45. I had been paying emergency tax.

It was silly to have let it by the layside but I won't let it happen again.

How will revenue know to send out the tax credit cert to my new employer?

It was a short stint so I would say im still in the non-taxable bracket.
Don't assume anything! You need to add up your total projected earnings for the year to see what tax liabilities you might have. In any case you need to declare income even if there is no liability as far as I know.

I suspect that you might want to get independent professional advice on your tax situation. As a contractor in the past it would have made sense for you to have engaged an accountant to help you with this.
How will revenue know to send out the tax credit cert to my new employer?
Normally when the employer gets your P45 things should be processed based on that. Your employer should get a tax deduction card and you should get a new statement of tax credits.

Don't assume anything! You need to add up your total projected earnings for the year to see what tax liabilities you might have. In any case you need to declare income even if there is no liability as far as I know.

I suspect that you might want to get independent professional advice on your tax situation. As a contractor in the past it would have made sense for you to have engaged an accountant to help you with this.

Normally when the employer gets your P45 things should be processed based on that. Your employer should get a tax deduction card and you should get a new statement of tax credits.

The revenue will know that I was working for that short stint as it's a very legit ltd. company, they would have declared any money they paid me. I may just ask the head accountant for advice on this; it would probably be expensive to hire a personal accountant for such a relatively small thing.

I don't think theres any chance of me getting in any trouble for anything seeing as the company I was working before as I said would have declared tax. In fact they definintely were as I was paying emergency tax.

The revenue will know that I was working for that short stint as it's a very legit ltd. company, they would have declared any money they paid me.
I'm not suggesting that they are not legit but if you were an independent contractor then your tax issues would be your own responsibility. If you were PAYE then Revenue should have some info about you but it's still your own responsibility to ensure that your tax affairs are correct and that you are not under or over paying tax and PRSI etc.
I don't think theres any chance of me getting in any trouble for anything seeing as the company I was working before as I said would have declared tax. In fact they definintely were as I was paying emergency tax.
If you were paying emergency tax then you should probably have been entitled to tax back once your credits etc. came through. If this never happened then you could still be due tax back.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]hi
I'm in a sort of similar situation, starting a contract so will be liable for about half the year. read this on revenue website: [/SIZE][/FONT]
3. Do I pay tax on everything I earn?
Your weekly/monthly wage is taxed at the standard rate of tax up to your weekly/monthly cut off point; any income in excess of your cut off point is taxed at the higher rate of tax. Your weekly/monthly tax credits are offset against this gross tax to give you your tax payable figure.

How do i find out my tax credit? and is this the same if i register for self employed?
I'm actually a bit clueless and not really sure what a tax credit is and on revenue website it says a tax credit is a tax credit which doesn't exactly shed much light.
Also Is the threshold the same for everyone?

How do i find out my tax credit? and is this the same if i register for self employed?
No - tax credits and PRSI rates for PAYE and self employed are different. You need to look at the self employed info on Revenue and preferable get indepenent, professional advice (e.g. from your accountant).

A tax credit is a number that you deduct from gross tax to give net tax. That's all.

thanks
only the reason I left the revenue website to come here was that i couldn't make head nor tail of it.
where would i find an accountant and how much would they cost to sit down for an hour?
you mentioned
'A tax credit is a number that you deduct from gross tax to give net tax. That's all.'

so does that mean if i have a tax credit of one thou, and i earn 30 thou and my tax is 6 thou that i subtract one thou from 6 thou?
??
thanks

so does that mean if i have a tax credit of one thou, and i earn 30 thou and my tax is 6 thou that i subtract one thou from 6 thou?
??
Yes.

Note that the calculator that I linked to earlier is a little confusing because (in order to support earlier tax years when tax free allowances rather than tax credits were used) Karl Grabe still uses the tax free allowance approach to the calculations. However he seems to have also added the tax credits gross/net tax calculations under the heading "COMPUTATION OF NET TAX PAYABLE BY YOU €:". This is where you see what gross tax you pay at 20% and 41% and then the resulting figure is reduced by your tax credits to determine your net tax.

This thread contains a summary of the common tax credits/reliefs available but what you are entitled to depends on your specific circumstances.

Are you paying too much tax? A guide to tax credits

thanks
on that link it says tax credit for a Single Person: €1,630
its says PAYE Tax Credit: €1,490

so would the €1,630 apply to me? as I'm not going to be PAYE

again i checked business info on revenue and couldn't find this.

do i deduct my business expenses, before determining my income, for tax purposes?

Looking at VAT requirements I saw that I only have to apply if my annual turnover is over €35,000. Is turnover the money coming in before i deduct expenses?
So if i get in 40 thou and have 7 thou as expense, would i then have to register for VAT?

No.
again i checked business info on revenue and couldn't find this.

do i deduct my business expenses, before determining my income, for tax purposes?

Looking at VAT requirements I saw that I only have to apply if my annual turnover is over €35,000. Is turnover the money coming in before i deduct expenses?
So if i get in 40 thou and have 7 thou as expense, would i then have to register for VAT?
I cannot answer these questions and would defer to the expertise of a professional tax advisor/accountant on them.

thanks

You will get the single person tax credit, but not the PAYE credit.

The registration limit is the turnover amounts, so regardless of your expenses, if you have sales in excess of €35k in a year, you must register for VAT.

Ok thanks
If all goes well and i get to 35k i've no prob hiring an accountant,
but if i'm to struggle around with 15k or 20k i would like to do my returns myself. I assume you can register for vat later if the need arises..
My last question is:
If i'm self-employed with two main separate activities and one is losing money and the other is not can i offset losses from the first in calculating my taxes from the second?
??

Back