External Wall Insulation: Rockwool, Phenolic or EPS??

Coolaboola, the pull test and boroscopic test are both requirements for best practice on all agrement certs. The pull test is to determine the type of fixing suitable for the type of substrate you have. If the proper type of mechanical fixing is not used you could, in the future have a situation where your walls are becoming loose(worse case scenario!) due to wind loading depending on your location. Or simply you might not have enough fixings per board again depending on the location ie: west coast Ireland. The boroscopic test would be to determine what type of wall construction you have, which would also have an effect on the type of fixings used. If you determine that you have a hollow block house you should always check to make sure the top of your cavity is fully closed. If it is not this results in a level of thermal looping that makes a nonsense of a U-value calculation and definitely results in heat loss and much poorer airtightness. Many people are not aware of this and are not taking the proper precautions, resulting in an under performing external insulation system. All good installers should be able to make you aware of best practice.

Hi coolaboola, could you send me the name of the contractor you finally used? Thank you!

I am thinking of going down the road of external insulation just wondering was it worth the money

If you determine that you have a hollow block house you should always check to make sure the top of your cavity is fully closed. If it is not this results in a level of thermal looping that makes a nonsense of a U-value calculation and definitely results in heat loss and much poorer airtightness. Many people are not aware of this and are not taking the proper precautions, resulting in an under performing external insulation system. All good installers should be able to make you aware of best practice.

Ah, this explains it. We've had external insulation installed but it is not performing. I also suspect air blasting into the blockwork under the insulation at the point where the kitchen extends a bit into the garden - they didn't seal up the point where the entension roof meets the house wall.

So how can I get these issues fixed - considering a) the external insulation is already on the house and b) the company that did it are muppets.

Thanks

CoolaBoola

Hi CoolaBoola, I am assuming your external insulation completed successfully and you have had it a while. Can I ask if it has been beneficial ? made a good difference in the winter ? no issues discovered i.e. condensation etc ?

Anybody else who has also had this done with EPS / phenolic system, please feel free to share your answers.

Many Thanks in Advance

Back