Age limit for free public transport for children?

ClubMan

At what age are children no longer entitled to travel for free on public transport - [Dublin] bus, Bus Eireann, Irish Rail, Luas/DART etc.? I thought that it was 3 years old but can't seem to find anything on this on the various websites!

Update: oh - just found this about the Luas...
Free travel on Luas

You may travel free on the Luas if you have a Free Travel Pass. Children under 3 travel free on the Luas but must be with an adult. Children aged 3-15 should pay the child fare.

Also just found which conflicts with the information above about Luas!
Remember children under 5 years travel free on public transport, and children aged between 5 and 15 pay child fares, generally half the adult fare.
Is it the general rule that children of non school going age can travel for free or something?

Talking to myself again...

Just found [broken link removed] in relation to Irish Rail:
14. Children

14.1 Except as may be specified in the publications and notices of and applicable
to Iarnród Éireann, children under five years of age may travel free of charge
when accompanied by an adult passenger holding a valid ticket for the journey
provided such children do not occupy seats that are required for fare paying
passengers.

14.2 Subject to restrictions on certain trains, children from their fifth to their
sixteenth birthday are entitled to discounts on most tickets.
And [broken link removed] in relation to Bus Eireann:
Children

Children under sixteen years of age are charged fares at such special child rates as may be specified from time to time. One child under three years of age will be carried free if accompanied by and in the charge of a fare-paying passenger, provided that the child does not occupy a seat to the exclusion of another passenger.
I'm surprised about the discrepancies here but I have the info I need now. Thanks for all the help! :)

Back