Key Post: Razor blades - shaving.

Paracetamol from Spain.

Where can you buy the old fashioned razor blades that used to come initially wrapped in a waxy paper and subsequently in a little plastic box, they were double sided. There is still one of the old fashioned metal shaving stick thingys in the house somewhere./
I have to say I like the idea of stocking up with "stuff" when overseas. Blades from Budapest, Anything else?

Re: >>Razor blades - Shaving.

Lidl blades and generic gel/foam. Why pay for Gilette's advertising campaign, their mission statement/tag line is something like "Reinforcing male success" - good jaysus, and I thought they just offered you something to scrape the hair off your face, crrringe :rolleyes:

Aldi blades are every bit as good as Gilette ones, and way cheaper. Lidl blades are very basic quality in comparison.

ubiquitous said:
Aldi blades are every bit as good as Gilette ones, and way cheaper. Lidl blades are very basic quality in comparison.

...I've found that the Lidl blades are real shredders..tear the bloomin' face off me...guaranteed to cut.

had to pop down to newry this morning to pick up an amazon order ( free postage if u use an norn ion address) 8 mach 3 + twin pack of gilette gel £9.66 about €15. Aldi out of shaving gel for past two weeks so I needed both. figure compared with tesco dundalk that the gel was 'free' and I had to go to newry anyway. but wouldn't be worth driving down for otherwise.

Re: X

Joe Nonety said:
When I was in Budapest I bought 50 Mach 3 Turbo blades at 50 cents each. Its a ripoff buying them in Ireland. When mine run out I can get them online for 80 cents each.

Any chance you could let us know the site where they're available at 80 cents Nonty?

Hi
For anyone who's interested, I had a look at the perfumeireland website referred to above and they have 8 Mach 3M3 blades (the ones with the aloe strip etc) for Eur19.99.
Well yesterday, having seen this topic (thks all, price of blades big bugbear of mine) I purchased 40 of the above on ebay for less than Eur40 including postage. Now that's a bargain! a bit more than the 80c mentioned but at 97c I'm still happy.

S.

Shakespeare said:
Well yesterday, having seen this topic (thks all, price of blades big bugbear of mine) I purchased 40 of the above on ebay for less than Eur40 including postage. Now that's a bargain! a bit more than the 80c mentioned but at 97c I'm still happy.

S.

Let us know if they are the real deal when you get them.

Beware of eBay.

I bought Gillette Mach 3 Turbo blades which turned out to be fake.
The green lube strip didn't slowly dissolve over the course of a week as I shaved.
Turned out it was just a strip of green plastic.

Ste

Don't know about the green lube strip as I haven't paid attention to it, but I bought 60 Mach 3 Turbo blades on ebay a few months ago and haven't noticed any difference to the ones I used previously.

stuffit said:
Beware of eBay.

The green lube strip didn't slowly dissolve over the course of a week as I shaved.

Ste

I bought blades from ebay before and was stung too - fakes. Even the packaging was fake....As mentioned before I buy all mine from perfumeireland.com now

I Tried the Aldi blades this morning and i can report that they seem fine so far. €2.99 for 3 blades + handle. topup blades are 1.99 for 4 or 5. Bye bye mach 3 for the time being

Hi there again,
Thought I should post now that I have received my M3 Power blades from ebay.
Firstly - they're great, no probs with them at all so far. Packaging is right, cartridges are exactly as any I've ever bought before.
For those who didn't see my earlier post, I have just purchased 40 Gillette M3 Power blades for Eur28+Eur10 approx p&p from ebay and I'm thrilled.
That's under Eur1 per blade Vs Tesco this morning where it would cost me Eur12.99 for 4 blades ie. Eur3.25 per blade.

I appreciate it can be a risk purchasing from ebay...but sometimes it works :eek:)

stuffit said:
I've never really seen the point of those 'lube strips', to be honest. They're positioned above the blades, so when you draw the blades across your skin — upwards or downwards — they're not lubricating (softening) the bristles before the blades reach them, just clogging up any open pores with lubey gunk after the blades have passed. Hardly a good thing..?

Best wet shave, IMHO, is achieved with a brush and cream (from a mug or, more economically/hygienically, squeezed from a [broken link removed]). Work it in well, and ideally leave the lather on your face for 2-3 mins. before you apply the blade — unless you've previously showered, so pre-softening the stubble. Rinse abundantly afterwards. Don't use any other skin care products (moisturising creams, etc.) on your skin for at least 30 mins after shaving. And, in the first place, delay shaving as long as possible after getting up in the morning...

Pricy aerosol gels and 'Turbo Mach MMVI' lube strips are making bigger marketing-monkeys out of men than anything our Sisters have to endure*. Let's face it, most of us are probably not 'worth it'... :D

*[Edit: Actually, no — that's an overstatement...]

DrMoriarty, your very knowledgeable on shaving creams plus methodology - what blade, may I ask, do you apply to your chin ?

A Lidl special. I guess I'm just the 'sensitive' kind... ;)

Saddam_Beard.jpg

Back