Does anyone know anyone who has ever...won anything on a prize bond?!

I've had 350euro worth of pbs for 3 years. have won 75euro.

My friend has a few thousand euro worth of pbs, and has won the 75euro prize a couple of times.

Don't know anyone who has won over 75euro, good to hear though that PaddyW's colleague won the 20,000 prize.. I was beginning to think prizes higher than 75euro were fictional!

Have a direct debit of 25euros each month set up for my son since he was 2 (now 6). He has won 75Euros 2-3 times. I have them on my name for over 10 years about 500 Euros worth - never won anything on them!!

My experience with an Irish insurance company who promoted free prize bonds with every industrial branch (IB) policy effected was that there were very few winners.

I have held prize bonds for over 15 years now and have invested about a grand a year so that now I have around €14,000 in prize bonds and I "win" on average 6 times a year ( usually the €75 prize ) = €450.

I have won the €1000? in the past and a few other smaller ones ( 150? ) my baby son won €250 recently and he only has €50 in prize bonds ( must be a lucky so and so :))

Gotta say I do understand that they are not a great investment but in my case I think I am the exception ( just lucky I guess ) and I do place the bulk of my savings in high interest fixed term accounts and basically see the prize bonds thing as a "punt" but I'm quite happy with things at the moment and see no reason to cash them in as you could always win the big one :)) yeah right!

On a side note I wonder will the mini budget affect prize bonds in regards to tax, DIRT etc. if they up DIRT then prize bonds could become quite attractive to a lot of folks in relation to safety and their tax free status, however if they abolish the tax free status of prize bonds they would become worthless to a lot of folks myself included, hhmmm

Had 1000 worth held for 1 year and didn't win so cashed them in. I had two others at £5 old money each which I never cashed for 20 + years and won €75 last year, 1st time!

Have held lots of 'old' ones for years and years (since my parents bought them for me 30-40 years ago). Then, , more recently, my husband and I decided to buy a small number of them, on the basis that if we didn't win within a year or so we would just cash them in again, and bearing in mind that interest rates are so bad it didn't seem like a bad idea. We also felt that newer ones might just have a better chance than the older ones (for whatever reason!). Anyway, within weeks we won 1000 Euro! That was a year or so ago. Didn't win anything since, but we bought some more of them recently because it seems to us that prize bonds are one of the better investments in these economic times.

I won 25 quid I think a few weeks after our first child was born - I wonder if An Post has a link to the births register and it was a cunning way for us to think about buying prize bonds for junior? Sceptical or what?!!

I have almost 20K in prize bonds and won E75 once, going to continue saving there for he time being, by the end of this year I'll have over 30K....I'm convinced I'm going to win big, sad, I know!

Then I suppose I'll have to look into moving the money into a bank to try earn some interest. Just thought with the current banking crisis they were a safer place to save in the last year. A friends aunt won 20K recently so I suppose its like doing the lotto really , I just thought my odds of winning were better, they say you have a 1 in 4 chance of winning if you hold 1K in bonds.

Something does not seem right to me about these, everyone has them but so few winners!! Often wondered if it was a scam, have loads of them because my grandparents always give me some a Christmas (even though I am now into my 30's!)

Something does not seem right to me about these, everyone has them but so few winners!! Often wondered if it was a scam, have loads of them because my grandparents always give me some a Christmas (even though I am now into my 30's!)

Maybe the big winners are off in the Caribbean and unable to post on askaboutmoney?

Started buying one a month back in 1970 until I had £500 worth. I have had two €75 winners from these but only in recent years.
I topped up with a €3000 lot a few years back but I have never had a winner.
I also purchased some for my children over the years. They have never had a winner between them.

Back