Making a bid - phone or email?

Maybrick

Just wondering - when you're bidding on a property, does anyone have an opinion on whether it's best to do it verbally over the phone or put it in writing through an email? Or do you think it makes any real difference?

Hi Maybrick

I would have thought that making it in person to the auctioneer is the best approach. You can probably pick up some information from their response.

Thanks Brendan - I just wondered if there was a standard practice on this issue. But is it perhaps a good idea to put the bid in writing as well, just to make it more official?

I'd make a bid verbally, preferably in a face-to-face situation.

Let's be realistic: people sometimes make a bid knowing that it has no chance of being accepted; it's just a step in the negotiating process. If I got to the point of making a bid that I was sure would (or should) be taken seriously, I'd probably confirm it in writing.

Interesting, thanks Padraig. Making a bid face to face is rarely practical, though. To be honest, I am slightly surprised that bidding by email is not the norm now - if only because it's sometimes hard to reach agents by phone.

Interesting, thanks Padraig. Making a bid face to face is rarely practical, though. To be honest, I am slightly surprised that bidding by email is not the norm now - if only because it's sometimes hard to reach agents by phone.

The last time I bought a house was before smart phones and email was a useless way to bid. The EA would not the bid unless they were physically in their office.
The advantage of the phone is that the EA has the phone on them all the time, and if they don't take the call, they will get the message quickly,.

From a negotiating point of view, I would make sure to be talking to the agent when making the bid.

I wouldn't email. I wouldn't leave a voicemail.

If you call them a few times and they don't return your call, then I would either leave a voicemail or contact the vendor directly with the bid.

Brendan

Back