Not happy with service provided by GP practice

That story is from 2006 - why is suddenly deemed newsworthy now? And why is James Reilly mentioned in the first sentence? Oh wait, James Reilly has just come out with a pre budget statement so lets try and dig up something, anything, negative even if it isn't really related to him! The GP in question isn't even named in the article! Outstanding journalism Eilish O'Regan!

That story is from 2006 - why is suddenly deemed newsworthy now? And why is James Reilly mentioned in the first sentence? Oh wait, James Reilly has just come out with a pre budget statement so lets try and dig up something, anything, negative even if it isn't really related to him! The GP in question isn't even named in the article! Outstanding journalism Eilish O'Regan!

I don't really care about the James O'Reilly angle (though I am from North County Dublin and I know all about James). I just find it amazing that a doctor would take jewellery from a woman to pay for treating her sick son.

Agreed Sunny - I just find it a bit strange that the story is 5 years old and is only hitting the newspapers now.

To answer the original question, I would have changed GP a long time ago. I have been misdiagnosed several times. Recently when I was in a lot of pain with a trapped nerve I was charged €50 for a 10-15 minute session of being told how to sit straight. Another physiotherapist charged me €50 for putting an ice pack on my back. If you don't think you are being properly treated and it is easy to move GP, then move.

Just an update on this. Its not so easy to get a new GP and it appears you have to resort to 'playing the game' to do so.

I phoned the first recommended place - not open for new patients.

I phoned the next recommended place - a VERY snotty receptionist asked me why I needed a new GP, had I recently moved? I (honestly) said that I was unhappy with the service with my old GP. I was then subjected to a slightly bizarre monologue detailing that in order to be 'allowed' become a patient of the practice, that I would have to be interviewed by the doctor, and that if he felt that I wasnt a 'problem' (yes this is the word used), then I would be allowed to be a patient. I was a bit confused by the whole thing so I said 'eh, I dont really understand, what kind of a problem are you talking about' and she said that they have to be careful of people and that you cant just ring up and get an appointment without being screened first. There was a strong indication that not being happy with a previous GP is not a clever thing to tell a potential new GP. At this point I politely declined being interviewed to pay someone for a service and hung up.

Then I phoned the next recommended place - rather than have an ordeal similar to previous I just said that I needed a new GP as I no longer lived near my old one and was given an appointment immediately.

But I get the impression that you cant say you are not happy with the service from an existing practice without being labelled a looney with issues - its ridiculous, its a business right? Youre not happy with the service you take your business elsewhere!!! Except, as Ive just found - its not that easy.

I phoned the next recommended place - a VERY snotty receptionist asked me why I needed a new GP, had I recently moved? I (honestly) said that I was unhappy with the service with my old GP. I was then subjected to a slightly bizarre monologue detailing that in order to be 'allowed' become a patient of the practice, that I would have to be interviewed by the doctor, and that if he felt that I wasnt a 'problem' (yes this is the word used), then I would be allowed to be a patient. I was a bit confused by the whole thing so I said 'eh, I dont really understand, what kind of a problem are you talking about' and she said that they have to be careful of people and that you cant just ring up and get an appointment without being screened first. There was a strong indication that not being happy with a previous GP is not a clever thing to tell a potential new GP. At this point I politely declined being interviewed to pay someone for a service and hung up.
This is a bizarre way for them to be treating potential customers. I'll keep your experience in mind the next time I hear the GPs club whinging on the news about reduced fees. I'd be sorely tempted to lie in those circumstance.

I saw ads for a new GP service around Sandyford (I think) offering a flat fee for the year - about €130 for an adult - with unlimited visits. Interesting business model - not a million miles away from the fixed fee they get for medical card patients.

My experience with GP practices is that you are not really treated as a paying customer. . . .secretaries are as rude as hell sometimes . . .we put up with it all but if a situation arises where you are very ill and anxious, the rudeness and bad service can become so stressful.
This is why I moved, got a recommendation from a friend, made an appointment, never looked back, didn't have any problem.

Back