Public liability insurance when renting overseas property

Homer

I have recently discovered that the public liability insurance that I was told is in place to cover people staying in my apartment in Portugal does not cover paying guests. If they are friends staying free of charge, the cover applies, but not if they are renting.

I've also been told that public liability insurance for paying guests can only be obtained by companies operating in the rental market. As I advertise my property online and make all bookings direct with the holidaymakers, this makes things somewhat problematic for me.

I'm looking into it at present, but I was wondering if anyone out there has encountered this problem and, if so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks
Homer

Hello Homer,
I have insurance cover from Intasure for public liability. 2 bed, in Canary Islands. annual €112.39 their tel no. 0044 208 274 6777 web site www.intasure.com
Good luck hope this helps.
It was difficult to get this cover as Insurance companies state that the holiday maker will carry their own holiday ins. Would not like to depend on this.
regards Browtal

Thanks Browtal

It did occur to me that holidaymakers might be able to claim against their own insurance, but I'm not sure I'd want to take a chance that someone might claim against me if they fell over a loose floorboard or whatever.

Anyway, I've been told it's not a legal requirement in Portugal if you are letting a holiday property.

Thanks again. I'll give them a shout and see how I get on.

Regards
Homer

Back