An Post ends free redirected post but not "return to sender".

An post charging for redirected mail-when?

Any idea when An Post are going to start charging for redirected mail? And what is going to happen to mail which is posted with a redirected address without a stamp?

I read on RTE.ie today that they are going to start charging for redirected mail, but there is no date mentioned.

We used this service 2 years ago.... and paid for it....about €50 I think. I thought there has always been a charge to redirect mail?

Ah! just looked at the article..they mean forwarding mail that has been delivered to the wrong address. if you know the forwarding address looks like you have to put a stamp on it now.

if you know the forwarding address looks like you have to put a stamp on it now.
I just wonder how they would enforce this. If you don't put a second stamp on it, presumably they ask the recipient to pay on arrival?

I just wonder how they would enforce this. If you don't put a second stamp on it, presumably they ask the recipient to pay on arrival?

I think they will return to orginal sender and not deliver to correct person.

It will cost some companies a bit if they were using one building as registered office for a lot of companies(say 100plus)- Before cross out address and repost, now want a stamp on it

This makes sense to me as a cost saving measure from An Post. If I were to move I would consider it my responsibility to ensure anyone likely to send me a very, very important letter had my up to date contact information.

The big problem I see for example is when people leave off - is it South or East etc.

Not sure what you mean by that.

Does this mean that we can't do a "return to sender" on unsolicited junk mail, which I've done from time to time, without putting a stamp on it!

Nice time to be introducing this in the middle of a depression:rolleyes: Must stock up on stamps ;)

Hughes Road East, North and South Dublin 12 would be one example -sometimes the PostMen themselves will deliver to the wrong house even though correctly addressed.

I would assume in cases of mis delivery like that an post would have to shoulder the cost.

Nice time to be introducing this in the middle of a depression:rolleyes: Must stock up on stamps ;)

Our local Post Office will not be selling stamps anymore in a few weeks time .

They say that stamps will only be available in ' hole in the wall ' outside .

All customers at PO counter will be given a sticker/label instead

The announcement clearly states An Post has put an end to redirecting letters. It also states the decision was taken in the past year.
Glad you pointed that out as we occasionally get post for family members who have flown the nest.

Back