Hike for bus and rail travellers

I've heard a couple of reasons - bus stops not correctly aligned so drivers fearful of being sued for people injuring themselves getting off buses at the rear doors - fear of people bunking onto the buses and not paying - the amount of time I saw our European brethren obediently waiting at the middle doors (where there was a sign saying exit by middle doors only) to be let off only to be shouted at by the driver to come up front!

I'd blame the drivers mostly, the buses were bought with double doors and then not used.

It's simple really - the middle doors could never be used as exits because that's where the fold-up buggies are stored!

I think the tax relief scheme is completely inflexable.

What is you loose you job within the 12 months or if your hours are cut?

Committing to buy a ticket for a period of 52 weeks is too long.

Another point is that it is high time that competition was introduced on all bus routes.

Monopolys are bad - bloated + inefficent.

You can buy monthly taxsaver tickets.

a 15% rise in some Dublin Bus fares is just outrageous in this day and age. A pure monopoly screwing the consumer.

a 15% rise in some Dublin Bus fares is just outrageous in this day and age. A pure monopoly screwing the consumer.

Have you actually read anything in this thread or anywhere else for that matter on this subject?

Dublin Bus' subvention ie Government contribution has been cut by 8%, they've already cut employment numbers, overtime and brought in a better network design to cut costs. Where do you suggest they get the money to make up the shortfall?

The 15% is in part a way to penalise those who insist on continuing to use cash, it's very easy to avoid this penalty by getting a Leap card.
www.leapcard.ie

I thought the leap card was only offering discounts on Dart and Luas but not Dublin Bus? I would love to be wrong on this.

At the moment there's only a discount on the €2.30 fare on Dublin Bus, it's €2.20 with the Leap Card, but once the fare increases on January 1 there's discounts on all cash fares ranging from 6% to 11%.

See here for full details
[broken link removed]

Has anyone else started to use the leapcard. I did, 3rd of Jan and off I went. But I noticed on my 3rd journey that I'd used more credit than I'd expected. I logged on, and sure enough, on my first journey, I was charged twice - I had gone to the bus driver to pay, so it wasn't like I tagged on twice or anything crazy.

I emailed in to them asking that I be refunded and was patiently awaiting the money to be put back on. But a week later I got an email, to be refunded I need to call in to the office on O Connell Street. But I don't work or live in town and don't go in very often (if I do it's a night for a few drinks when they're not open). So would need to spend 4.80 to go in to town to collect my 1.70 that they've over charged me.

It's the principle of it. I don't see why I need to go out of my way when they can look at my log and see that at 8:32 on the afformentioned morning they charged me twice.

Grr..

Has anyone else started to use the leapcard. I did, 3rd of Jan and off I went. But I noticed on my 3rd journey that I'd used more credit than I'd expected. I logged on, and sure enough, on my first journey, I was charged twice - I had gone to the bus driver to pay, so it wasn't like I tagged on twice or anything crazy.

they can look at my log and see that at 8:32 on the afformentioned morning they charged me twice.

The problem here is that the system is set up to allow you to pay for your own fare, and a companion's, all out of your stored credit.

If you get issued a paper ticket for your fare, it means they've charged you for two, and you need to get the driver to refund you immediately.

Otherwise you'll be entering the twilight zone of leap refunds, where it is always someone else's responsibility, and you'll be passed around the houses with no joy at all.

I haven't had any issues yet but I can imagine arguing an issue could become a complete pain. It let me go 40c overdrawn into the deposit recently, which is very handy if you're running a little short and haven't topped up.

One annoyance is if you top up online it can take up to 48 hours before you can get your money. In future I'll top up in cash at a payzone as you need to go to one anyway to activate your online top up.

I started using the Leap Card last week and, when it works, it's a good system. My issue is with my local station. The turnstiles have been out of order for nearly 3 months, and now the seperate Tag On/Off device has started to malfunction. This morning it displayed that my card had been verified which I assumed to be a valid Tag On. When I went to Tag Off at the other station, I was Tagged On, which means I've been charged 4.30 for a 2.10 fare.

Irish Rail are running a competition for us to tell them how much we love our local station. Perhaps they'd run a second competition for voting how much of a kip our local station is :rolleyes: ?

Back