Motorists going through red light.

thedaras

As I was turning left on a FULL green light onto a dual carriageway,another motorist coming up the dual carriageway,did two illegal things.

1) He went through a red light and

2) He did an illegal U turn.

When I had to stop to let him go,he gets really smart with me.

He was dropping off his daughter near the school entrance,and stopped in the bus lane to do so.

Ok, I am annoyed about his attitude and have a major issue with those who go through a red light,drop their kids off in a bus lane and do illegal U turns.

What would be the right thing to do?
Do I just forget it?
Do I phone the traffic cops (I have his reg ,make and model ).

The breaking of red lights really winds me up... and it is everywhere!

I regularly see three or sometimes four cars go through the red.

If I was in charge of the traffic light sequences, the badness in me would set them to go green 2 seconds before the others side go red.

That'd soon learn them.

I know last year in the bad weather I contacted a couple of companies whose drivers passed me driving like loonies. I always got a response, an apology and was told that it "would be dealt with ". I've no idea if it were or not but it made me feel better and if I had drivers on the road driving badly I'd like to know about it.

Problem here is that it is a private driver so it's your word against his. I know where my little un goes to school, they've had similer issues and a letter went out to each parent from the school and it did improve things. Sad to say that there are a lot of drivers on the road who have no idea how to drive

LOL. It is just as well, I'm not running the madhouse!

I go through the same lights as the offending motorist ,every day.However he really did push it ,it wasn't as if the lights were even amber,they were redder than red,plus he did a u turn onto the dual carriageway,and then stops in the bus lane!:mad:
Oh how I would love to be a traffic cop at times like this ..

Mpsox,That was my third option, to phone the school and ask them ,to mention incidents of illegal u turns and stopping in the bus lane ,etc in their next newsletter.

I always got a response, an apology and was told that it "would be dealt with ". I've know idea if it were or not but it made me feel better and if I had drivers on the road driving badly I'd like to know about it.

I know someone who lost the use of their company jeep over someone doing this so it goes get through

On running red lights: In the UK the traffic lights go amber before they go green, this means that drivers pull-off the second the lights go green...this would fix the issue pretty quickly.

Wait, I thought it was only cyclists who broke red lights and motorists were innocent of any illegal driving...

Wait, I thought it was only cyclists who broke red lights and motorists were innocent of any illegal driving...

LOL. Actually, it would be interesting (in an anorak sort of way) to see who is statistically more at fault for breaking red lights. I would guess cyclists....

I'd give the local garda station a call and let them know it happens - they may just leave a car there for a couple of mornings to get the message across.

We had a number of incidents near the school recently where dumb ass parents were stopping in middle of road, double parking, stopping on the hatched lines .... outside the school. Local guards were informed and they ticketed a number of drivers on afternoon - it hasn't happened since :)

Roundabouts are my current complaint.

Yesterday, I had right of way, yet someone drove on to the roundabout in front of me without even looking to check. Luckily no damage was done.

On my drive to work, I have to negotiate a (different) roundabout and the number of drivers who use their indicators correctly is a very small minority.

This morning, a driver beeped me cos I wouldn't hold back to let her change lanes in front of me after she had driven up the bus lane to get were she was.

It's hard I'm such an exemplary driver :eek: !

At my local school, people always break the red light to turn right at the traffic lights

The sequence of lights is such that they actually go through a pedestrian light which is green when they break the red light

I'm amazed that no child has been knocked down there while crossing at the pedestrian crossing

DB74, that is also a major problem in my area.
Drivers forget that there are kids,who have a green light and are crossing the road at that time.
There have been several incidents of people being knocked down,and even some deaths here.
I have written ,and phoned Gardai stations,Gardai HQ, the county council ,TDs etc,but they seem to brush it off..

Let the Garda know what this person is doing, then they can decide whether or not to follow it up.

I know last year in the bad weather I contacted a couple of companies whose drivers passed me driving like loonies. I always got a response, an apology and was told that it "would be dealt with ". I've no idea if it were or not but it made me feel better and if I had drivers on the road driving badly I'd like to know about it.

I reported a truck driver recently who was driving dangerously on the M50, then tried to blow me off the road because I wasn't going fast enough for his liking. His truck had a big 'How is my driving. Phone.....' at the back so I phoned the number with his reg details. It seemed to be some kind of a centralised place that dealt with complaints for lots of different companies. They assured me it would be taken seriously but no one phoned me back to apologise or anything. I presume it came down to my word against his!

I reported a truck driver recently who was driving dangerously on the M50, then tried to blow me off the road because I wasn't going fast enough for his liking. His truck had a big 'How is my driving. Phone.....' at the back so I phoned the number with his reg details. It seemed to be some kind of a centralised place that dealt with complaints for lots of different companies. They assured me it would be taken seriously but no one phoned me back to apologise or anything. I presume it came down to my word against his!

I tried those numbers with the same result so I just go straight to the company in question. You can usually a companies MD contact details on line

At a previous employment we had the same thing. Most complaints were taken seriously and investigated mainly because it takes a lot for people to actually phone up and use the number.

Based on the complaint you can tell if it's genuine and if nothing else, with truck drivers, it meant a serious look at their tacograph, which none liked.

Though we'd always respond to the individual immediately at least to confirm details.

At a previous employment we had the same thing. Most complaints were taken seriously and investigated mainly because it takes a lot for people to actually phone up and use the number.

That's what I assumed they'd think. I've often been annoyed by drivers on the road but on this occasion I went to the trouble of concentrating really hard to remember the phone number and the reg details until it was safe to pull in and write them down. Then, as you said, I had to go to the trouble of ringing the number and going through all the details with the operator. Someone would hardly do that unless they were seriously annoyed or alarmed at the way someone was driving.

I see traffic light violations every time I am in a car and I am only ever in my wife's car, about twice a week. AFAIC rule enforcement is a joke. 2 weeks ago my wife was stopped at a green light and couldnt proceed as traffic was static the far side of the junction. driver behind her went ahead of her into the yellow box and blocked part of the junction! last week my wife yielded correctly and safely at a roundabout to a car who had the priority, he blasted his horn in a ridiculous manner asserting his right of way. needless to say she blasted himout of it!

Back