Problems at start-up

mister mac

Just wondering would anyone know what this fault might be before I have to go to the garage.

My 2002 Hyundai Sante-fe (automatic transmission) is struggling to start the last few mornings.
It starts up then struggles to keep ticking over for about 5 mins unless i keep the revs up,then once it ticks over ok I cant put it into drive for another 5 mins or it cuts out with a lurch forward. The battery light on the dash is also staying on for about 1 min after start-up which isnt normal and is a warning light to say the battery is not charging properly according to the manual.I put a new battery in so iv eliminated that.
Im not sure if it is

1.The alternator
2.The electrics
3.The fuel injectors
4.The distributer

immobiliser? Battery within key may be gone. Try starting with spare key to eliminate that!

Hi ,

I had the exact same problem about 1 month ago on a mitsubishi lancer 1.3.....Out of the blue the car would start but struggle when idling but after a few mins itswould pick up as the engine warmed up.When I went to pull out of the drive the engine would bog down and wouldnt accelerate in any gear

Reason: Dirty Fuel/dirt in filter/injectors
Remedy(for me at least) replace fuel filter and clean injectors or rev the nuts off the car

Action taken:...revved the nuts off the car...problem solved.

Back