What happens when ABS doesnt work?

Re: abs

If the abs doesnt work....and if you hit the brakes hard on a moist/damp surface.....you will skid , it will basically just act like a normal non abs equiped car.......better to have it fixed though if its broke...

It's not like you won't have brakes but rather that in any given situation (especially wet as Parker describes) you won't stop in as short a distance.

ABS is like an overide for your brakes. Basically, if the ABS sensor thinks that the brakes will lock it will, in effect, pump the brake calipers, slowing you don't without your wheels losing traction.
So inversly if the ABS is not working, it will mean that if you hit the brakes hard, the brakes will lock and you will lose traction ie skid, increasing your stopping distance.

My guess is it's probably the sensor that's gone more than anything in the braking system. Should be relatively inexpensive to fix.

P2ssw0rd said:
ABS is like an overide for your brakes. Basically, if the ABS sensor thinks that the brakes will lock it will, in effect, pump the brake calipers, slowing you don't without your wheels losing traction.
So inversly if the ABS is not working, it will mean that if you hit the brakes hard, the brakes will lock and you will lose traction ie skid, increasing your stopping distance.

My guess is it's probably the sensor that's gone more than anything in the braking system. Should be relatively inexpensive to fix.

How would you know if your ABS has packed up (apart from skidding into a tree or something) Do you get a strange vibration in the break pedal ?? By any chance !!

A strange vibration in the pedal would more likely be a sign of ABS working! Thats what it feels like when it is doing its stuff.

When ABS on a car becomes inoperative you will get a light illuminating on the dash to say it is down. When ABS is not working the cars brakes just work like normal brakes on any other non-ABS equipped car.

My mechanic told not working, only got brakes on front wheels, no brakes on backs ones and ABS light flashing all time on dashboard

When ABS works it actually takes longer to stop the car, however you can still steer the car to avoid an abstacle or small child. Without the ABS (as said), your wheels lock up and you go into an out of control skid.

liamwoods said:
When ABS works it actually takes longer to stop the car

This is incorrect, abs activation will always stop the car in a considerably shorter distance than without.

cagney said:
My mechanic told not working, only got brakes on front wheels, no brakes on backs ones and ABS light flashing all time on dashboard

You don't say what car you have, but I don't think the ABS problem is causing a loss of braking on the rear. It would be something else. In any event if you are not confident in the word of your mechanic, get another to look at it and get a second oppinion.

Eurofan said:
This is incorrect, abs activation will always stop the car in a considerably shorter distance than without.

Not necesssarily. Racing and rally drivers do not use ABS for example. They feel they are more in control without it.

RS2K said:
Not necesssarily. Racing and rally drivers do not use ABS for example. They feel they are more in control without it.

Racing and Rally drivers are not trying to stop their cars......

RS2K said:
Which is nothing to do with what i said, liamwoods asserted that abs braking takes longer and i corrected that as being completely incorrect.

A very skilled driver can in fact perform as well or better than abs especially in extreme scenarios, e.g. gravel or very bad ice.

Eurofan said:
Which is nothing to do with what i said, liamwoods asserted that abs braking takes longer and i corrected that as being completely incorrect.

A very skilled driver can in fact perform as well or better than abs especially in extreme scenarios, e.g. gravel or very bad ice.

I'm not a mechanic but I remember a mechanic telling me that.
Anyway, I looked into it further. It seems we both have a point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABS_brake

The "Effectiveness" Section is interesting.

My understanding is that of Liamwoods.

ABS is an antilocking device which allows you to steer while breaking. This works by very quickly applying and releasing the breaks (even though you've your foot completely depressed), this leads to a longer stopping distance.

Back