How much did you pay to have outside of your house painted ?

mosstown

i need to get the outside of my new build painted pronto as the council have sent me a warning letter !
it is a two storey 2,500 sq ft house, would anyone have an indication as to how much i would expect to pay a couple of painters. i will supply the masonry paint as i bought it in the UK last year.

We built our house (2,800sq ft dormer) and moved in last year. Planning on painting it myself (with a little help, hopefully;)) when the weather gets a bit warmer. Got one quote from a painter who did a bit of work for us and think it was coming in about €1,200 for labour only, hence the reason I've decided to do it myself.

Would be aiming for the 900-1k mark though, as usual get several quotes and negotiate, plenty of painters looking for work so there's no reason you shouldn't get a good price. Check references etc

thanks dj01. i hopefully will have a couple of quotes later today so will put them on here then. to be honest if i can get someone for under €1500 to paint the house and garage then I would be happy with that as we live in the UK and the planners are put us under pressure with threats of fines etc if we dont paint house by end of April.

after recently getting tradesmen to do some jobs I found that offering cash and no receipt required has meant the quote coming down a bit!

after recently getting tradesmen to do some jobs I found that offering cash and no receipt required has meant the quote coming down a bit!

So you are facilitating tax evasion here? If you follow this route and there are any issues down the line, you have no come-back as no legal contract exists.

Hmm... handy info leo... didn't know that !! then again, what can wrong with "painting a house" am I being too naive ?

Leo, thats a big strong isn't it ? i would prefer not to have my post swayed into the subject of tax evasion or anything else for that matter. People are free to make their own choices good or bad and if someone wants to do my painting for under €1500 whether it is cash or cheque then their tax affairs are not my business. I just want my house painted !

you see Leo, already one comment towards your "tax evasion" comment ! drawing away from my request for prices.

paying someone cash is not facilitating tax evasion Leo! Their tax affairs are their own responsibility and there is absolutely nothing illegal with giving a tradesman cash. And with regard to issues down the line, if you use a tradesman who comes well recommended and it is for a job not likely to throw up issues then it's a risk I took. If you read my original post you will see I never mentioned tax, revenue or evasion. I merely made an observation.

Offering 'cash and no receipt required' and expecting a lower price is the language of the black market. Take a look at the Finance Bill 2005, any person found to incite or induce another to evade tax is breaking the law.

Wow!

€1,000 cash in hand for 2-3 days work (no supply of materials)? It takes me a fully qualified architect with 10 years professional practice, and legal responsibility for the buildings I design to the extent of going to prison and/or losing everything I own for mistakes about 10 working days to earn that. Was not I a fool for sacraficing my 20's to struggling through college with money earned through the summer, I could have left school at 15 and had an extra 15 years earning €2k a week lashing paint onto a wall?
The Celtic Tiger is over lads!, OP you should expect to pay €250 for the lot, and I know plenty out there who'd do it for that.

Offering 'cash and no receipt required' and expecting a lower price is the language of the black market. Take a look at the Finance Bill 2005, any person found to incite or induce another to evade tax is breaking the law.

Cash is the legal tender of the state. It is perfectly legal to pay for something in cash, perfectly acceptable and there is nothing wrong with it. It is the painter's responsibility to ensure he pays VAT and income tax, and not the customer's.

That section of the Finance Bill you refer to is not aimed at ordinary Joe, but rather at financial advisors and other finance professionals who set up dodgy offshore schemes and the like. It would never be used to prosecute someone who pays cash for a paint job.

[/QUOTE]If you follow this route and there are any issues down the line, you have no come-back as no legal contract exists.[/QUOTE]

Also, just because someone gets a cash job, that does not mean that there is no contract. Contracts don't have to be written down to exist.

True, everyone knows that a cash job could very well result in tax evasion on the part of the painter. But that's a long, long way from meaning that the customer is responsible for making sure that the tax is paid, or could be culpable for it under the law.

In fairness asking for a discount for cash seems like a good idea. In these tough times when people have loans etc to pay off, its much better to be sure of the cash in your hand than to wait for a potentially dodgy cheque to lodge.
But asking a tradesman if its more convenient not to ask him for a receipt could lead to problems if he himself is a dodgy/unreferenced/unknown trademan and does a sloppy job or simply walks away into the sunset with your cash leaving you with no comeback and with no proof whatsoever that you paid him to do any work. If I was paying in cash I'd want to pay in installments as the work progressed and was checked.

Meanwhile back on topic, :) I'm very interested in hearing what folk have paid.

Sorry to drag it on pudds, but should the mods not shift this to REVENUE? No connection with them - just a, um, happy taxpayer.:eek:

But ... it's not a discussion about REVENUE ..... it's a question about how much it's going to cost a person to get their house painted .... seems to fit nicely into homes and gardens'.

Back to question posed .... would also be interested in the answers people have (as thoughts turn to getting the old pad painted here too).

to the OP:

Why did you get a warning letter?

There are literally hundreds of houses up here that have been up for a few years and aren't painted.

Is it a requirement of building a house?

RMCF, basically we got retention on our house and garage in Ireland (Midlands) because they were both built a bit higher than the plans and garage was built bigger than the plans. now all of this began with us wanting to do this and our engineer/architect telling us that there would be no problem and he would sort it out and to go ahead and do what we wanted and he would sort out the retention. we applied for retention twice. there is no mortgage involved, i got the site and plans gifted to me from my father and also we are building in a heritage area. in hindsight, we shouldn't have listened to him (this is a well known architect in our county and he bragged about how he could sort anything out, and our local politican says he is well known for this and we were wrongly advised !) - in the end my Dad got everything sorted out with the help of our local politician. we are now considering legal action against our engineer. my brother is a solicitor so he is doing the work for free.
meanwhile, the council have demanded that we paint and screen the house and garage within three months of us getting the retention. we got retention end of November 09 so obviously we couldnt paint the house in winter ! we still havent painted the house but work is due to commence in the next 10 days or so. We also have to screen the house with semi mature trees as a matter of urgency as well. I wouldnt mind if the house was ugly or a ultra moder design. It is a standard two storey house that you see all around the country. We havent even moved into the house yet, there is no bathroom installed yet and kitchen is almost there as we live in the UK and everything takes longer to do when you are not there. Our planning doesn't expire until 2014 !
I think we must have stepped on a few peoples toes and now they have us on the hit list so I will have the outside painting and trees set by mid April and that will keep them happy until they kick off about something else.

i have now had 3 quotes for painting outside of house and garage:

Garage dimensions approx - 2 storey, 6 metres high at ridge, 12 metres x 6 metres approx
House dimensions approx - 2 storey plus 2 habitable bedrooms and bathroom in attic (6 double bed house) - height of house about 8-9 metres at ridge , 12 metres x 10 metres roughly (not 100% on this but give or take) - house is 3 storey with two full size staircases.

€2,800 !! - joker (2 men on site, 3 coats - this is actually someone that was recommended by someone I know well) - non runner
€1500 - €1600 - (1 man on site, 2 coats - this price came from a painter registered with tradesmen.ie but he was bit too desperate to get started and wasnt sure what safety measures he was going to have - non runner - sounded a bit risky
€1600 + €200 to hire a cherry picker (can supply references and contact numbers for lots of satisfied customers, 2 men on site, 2 coats, will give me copy of insurance.
I am meeting this fella on Saturday to go through details as I dont live in Ireland and all being well he will commence on 23rd March and he will finish in 2 weeks by the time I go to Ireland again for the Easter hols.
it would be very risky doing this job without a cherry picker as house is very tall.
it is a big house and garage and i am happy with this price so i can get back with the results of this guys work around mid april (after the easter hols). if he is a great painter and i am happy then i will pass the number at that stage to anyone if they are interested ?

Back