Problem with unregistered landlord

Raul

Hi,
My girlfriend is having trouble with her current landlord. He is not registered as a landlord and therefore no lease is signed.

He asked one of them to move out 3 weeks ago because he needed somewhere to stay but both her and her housemate decided to move out because they are not too keen on living with him.

He had been paying them rent relief himself but is now refusing to pay it for the last 10 months (he last paid in November 2007 for the previous year).

She has found a place now also and is moving out a week earlier than she is paid up until.

He won't give her this last week rent back though even though he forced one of them to move out. He initially told the other girl that he would give her the money back if she moved out early but is now claiming she misunderstood him.

I think my girlfriend should tell him that she is going to seek advice from Revenue and the PTRB unless he pays both the rent relief and give her the last weeks rent back.

Is this the right avenue to go down?

Re: Problem with unregistered landlord. Need advice

Yep,

She still has all the reliefs available from the PRTB, despite the fact that he's not registered. The thing is it takes quite a while going through the PRTB, so the Revenue threat may be much more powerful.

I think we will threaten him with both just to be sure :D Thanks for the reply

And report him too.

Do dont need to report him, you just claim rent relief from Revenue. They dont need his PPS number, just give is Name, Address and the address of the house etc. They should be able to put 2 & 2 together.

He had been paying them rent relief himself but is now refusing to pay it for the last 10 months (he last paid in November 2007 for the previous year).

Hopefully the Revenue won't then ask your girlfriend why she aided and abetted her landlord's apparent tax evasion by accepting a bribe from him in lieu of claiming rent relief.

Do dont need to report him, you just claim rent relief from Revenue. They done need his PPS number, just give is Name, Address and the address of the house etc. They should be able to put 2 & 2 together.

I don't see any reason NOT to report him - based on the info supplied he has mistreated the friend. What do you have against reporting him? Why allow him a possibility of getting away with it?

Hopefully the Revenue won't then ask your girlfriend why she aided and abetted her landlord's apparent tax evasion by accepting a bribe from him in lieu of claiming rent relief.

That's a bit of a dirty dig isn't it? You telling me most people wouldn't do the same?

Thanks to all the others who replied with helpful answers.

I don't see any reason NOT to report him - based on the info supplied he has mistreated the friend. What do you have against reporting him? Why allow him a possibility of getting away with it?

The main reason is she doesn't really want to hassle or aggro but doesn't want to be ripped off either. I would be inclined to do what you are suggesting though.

That's a bit of a dirty dig isn't it??? You telling me most people wouldn't do the same?
Maybe they would. That's not the point. Your girlfriend has benefitted financially by facilitating and colluding in her landlord's tax evasion. In my book, that's fraud. Hopefully the Revenue won't raise these issues with her when she makes her report. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitous http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=704279#post704279

That's a bit of a dirty dig isn't it??? You telling me most people wouldn't do the same?

I don't think this was ment as a dig....there is a risk that revenue will not look too favourably on her as she obviously knew she was entitled to rent relief and yet allowed the landlord to sort this out directly with her. It is something to bear in mind.

I don't think this was ment as a dig....there is a risk that revenue will not look too favourably on her as she obviously knew she was entitled to rent relief and yet allowed the landlord to sort this out directly with her. It is something to bear in mind.

Ok sorry I thought it was a dig at her. Yep will keep in mind so. Thanks

How exactly will the Revenue know she accepted the cash? They wont! So she can now report him and claim back tax relief for the years she lived there. Unless there is a financial trail to show that she received this money from the LL, she's laughing.

Not exactly the most honest policy but every cloud has a silver lining

Maybe they would. That's not the point. Your girlfriend has benefitted financially by facilitating and colluding in her landlord's tax evasion. In my book, that's fraud. Hopefully the Revenue won't raise these issues with her when she makes her report.
How does the OP's girlfriend know that the landlord is evading tax?
Even if she did know for certain, so what? Is she under any obligation to inform the revenue?

How exactly will the Revenue know she accepted the cash? They wont! So she can now report him and claim back tax relief for the years she lived there. Unless there is a financial trail to show that she received this money from the LL, she's laughing.

Not exactly the most honest policy but every cloud has a silver lining

If the landlord is able to tell the Revenue that the tenant hasn't claimed rent relief for past years, and this is verified when the Revenue examine the tenant's tax record, this may well lead them to conclude that the landlord's story is credible, and the tenant is not to be trusted.

The old moral about people in glasshouses still applies sometimes.

call into the local citizen information office, and they will have some info for you, and yes report him.

If the landlord is able to tell the Revenue that the tenant hasn't claimed rent relief for past years, and this is verified when the Revenue examine the tenant's tax record, this may well lead them to conclude that the landlord's story is credible, and the tenant is not to be trusted.
I rented for years, and didn't know there was such thing as 'rent relief'. I never claimed it. I'm pretty sure that there are many people out there that still do not know about it.

I rented for years, and didn't know there was such thing as 'rent relief'. I never claimed it.

Yes, but how many people know that you didn't claim it, and would be in a position to cite this fact in order to support their argument in a "one person's word against another" scenario"?

The only party in trouble here in the unregistered landlord.

Yes, but how many people know that you didn't claim it, and would be in a position to cite this fact in order to support their argument in a "one person's word against another" scenario"?
I see your point.

Back