Suggestions for improving public transport in Ireland.

shnaek

Here's my own two cents worth.

I'd like to suggest a ZONE system on busses in Dublin city, so you can hop from bus to bus on the one ticket within a certain timeframe to get to your destination. This system operates in most European cities. In every other city your fee should allow you hop on busses going in the one direction in a certain timeframe. The cities outside Dublin are too small for a ZONE system, so they should simply be considered a single ZONE.

Any opinions or other suggestions on how we can improve the current system?

You're in the wrong country dude. Good Ideas like that are for properly run countries. Remember we only exist to serve the special interests, ain't nothing gonna change that......

Well about 100 years ago Ireland used to have train lines all around the country. I could walk to the local train station and get a train to Dublin. Dublin used to have trams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_tramways
At its peak, with over 60 miles (97 km) of active line, the system was heavily-used, profitable and advanced in technology and passenger facilities, with near-full electrification complete from 1901. Heavy usage lasted from the late 1800s into the 1920s

To put this in context, the total length of the (unconnected) Luas is 15 miles.

Unfortunately, it was decided that all this infrastructure should be torn up.

I would have to agree with roro123 - you're in the wrong country.

As I submitted to the Dublin transport people when they were doing their plan...

Make the city pedestrian focused. If you did not have to wait for the little green man you would be across the city in half the time, cutting out the need for some public transport and cars. Why not?

I thought Dublin Bus had a sort of Zone scheme once - ticket 90 or something? It did exactly what shnaek described, you could change buses on a single ticket as long as the 2nd journey began within 90 mins of the first one.

Not advertised on their site so obviously not active any more!

Unfortunately, it was decided that all this infrastructure should be torn up.

Just to remind everyone it was a FF govt that decided to tear it all up.

Todd Andrews I believe was the man concerned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Andrews

There used to be a rail line that ran through to Brewery Road, Leopardstown and it was closed down when the area was being developed with thousands of houses.

Typical FF thinking!!!

Hire some Japanese engineers, Chinese builders and Swiss operators and give them free hand to do whatever they think is best within a set budget.

Hire some Japanese engineers, Chinese builders and Swiss operators and give them free hand to do whatever they think is best within a set budget.

Add to that some Italian chefs and French lovers and you're swinging :D

We'd have the best little country in the world :)

I heartily agree. If we're so inadequate at proper urban/civic planning (and it looks like that when you see how other countries do it), why not just adopt what we consider to be best practice elsewhere? Just skip the whole wrangling, reinventing the wheel stuff etc. and hand the project over to some experienced operators for a set fee or budget and timescale. Public transport should be a service, not a profit-making activity. Look at where people need to go, and when and link these places up properly. Rant over!!

I heartily agree. If we're so inadequate at proper urban/civic planning (and it looks like that when you see how other countries do it), why not just adopt what we consider to be best practice elsewhere? Just skip the whole wrangling, reinventing the wheel stuff etc. and hand the project over to some experienced operators for a set fee or budget and timescale. Public transport should be a service, not a profit-making activity. Look at where people need to go, and when and link these places up properly. Rant over!!

Tut tut - that'd never do as it would most likely come in under budget, on time and the NRA or other vested interests wouldn't get their slice of the cake!

Look at where people need to go, and when and link these places up properly. Rant over!!

Now that's just crazy talk. You go where Dublin Bus or CIE say you can go. it's not their fault that there's a dangerous worm hole in the space-time continuum that means it's impossible for a bus to cross the liffey unless it is specially protected by an X after its number and runs at times inconvienent for everyone so that the worm hole doesn't notice it.

I thought Dublin Bus had a sort of Zone scheme once - ticket 90 or something? It did exactly what shnaek described, you could change buses on a single ticket as long as the 2nd journey began within 90 mins of the first one.

Not advertised on their site so obviously not active any more!

Au contraire - I purchased one not so very long ago. A very useful ticket this - it can be used on as many bus journeys as you can fit into a 90 minute period. From the fares & tickets section of the Dublin Bus website:

10 Journey Travel 90 Adult €18.00
  • Valid for 10 journeys of 90 minutes unlimited travel
  • Valid on Dublin Bus scheduled services including Xpresso (excluding Airlink, Nitelink, Tours, Special Events and Private Contract services)
  • No CIE photo ID required

Spend less money on wages and more on infrastructure.
+1

Dublin Bus drivers are the 6th best paid drivers in the world, earning an average of €33,000 per annum and earn about 30% more than their counterparts in London.

This is according to the prices and earnings report published by Swiss bank UBS.

Back