Sallins?

sabrina99

Hi,

Thinking of moving to Sallins and doing daily commute to city centre, can any one tell me is this commute ok?(would be getting train)
or if anyone has any views on sallins that would be great too.
thanks

Sallins is a very small village with absolutely nothing in it but a few pubs & a canal and a railway station. If you have kids, the schools are becoming very overcrowded, but nothing new anywhere these days. My wife used to commute to Heuston every day and make the short drive from Naas and said the train was packed by then and you are looking at standing for the full journey. Even a friend of mine who lives in Newbridge says the trains are packed even there...

Tell me why Sallins?

Sallins is OK...nothing special. 3 pubs, the best one being The Railway. 2 Restaurants both are ok but not exceptional. Commute to Dublin is generally uneventful....the only negative is the last train from Dublin leaves at 22:45. Trains have got busier but this equate with the 3rd level students returning to college. I can only comment on Sallins Bridge estate as we rented there until recently. 2 years ago 4 bed semi d's sold for €320k. Last year circa €360k. Now a 4 bed semi-d is asking €470k (it will probably get more). The houses in the estate are generally ok but can become tatty very quickly (cracks etc). The estate itself has a small teenage asshole element who gather at the pedestrian exit near the village. Dont buy near this exit and you wont have too many problems. There is a very good community spirit in the estate itself. I hear the local national school is well regarded. Traffic in the Village can be a nightmare during rush hour. Naas and Newbridge on your doorstep.

Would you not try Clane? Much nicer village, cheaper (not by much mind) and you're only 5 minutes drive from Sallins train (into Heuston) and only 10 minutes from Kilcock train (into Connolly). Course if you don't have a car you can't get to Kilcock easily but there is a feeder bus to the train station in Sallins from Clane, dunno much about it except it's called Townlink.

There's also a bus every 15-20 mins in the morning that will have you in Stephens Green in about 1 hour. You'd be doing well to get a bus from lucan and such in the same length of time.

Also, at the weekends there is a nightlink service provided by Bus Eireann to clane/naas/sallins and newbridge that leaves Dublin at 12.30am and 3.30am and takes approx. 45 minutes to get out.

Agree with Ballyman that Clane is a lot nicer than Sallins, some nice restaurants and shops (Tesco Express, SuperValu for a few bits and pieces), gym and hotel on your doorstep.

I've bought in Clane also, there's a few new developments being built at the moment - Brooklands and Abbey Wood to name but 2. Brooklands are releasing 3 bed townhouses from 380k this weekend and I believe Abbey Wood have some 2 bed apts for around 310k, maybe a bit less. Both on myhome.ie

Thanks for the replies,
No kids so school doesn't matter, no car either so I was looking for somewhere within walking distance to train station,
Don't know why I'm picking sallins, like the fact that is near countryside but still accessible to Dublin at the same time.

I've lived in Sallins the last 2 yrs and thinks its a great stop.

Village it's self is small but Naas is 2 or 3 miles away and that has everything you could want as far as places to go out.
But that's all to change as they have already started on a hotel and shopping centre, gym etc.
I work in the city and get the train into the city. Takes 20 - 25 mins to Heuston, although does get very packed when collages are back. Plus doesn't run on a Sunday which is a pain esp to go into a match etc.

Houses have really gone up in price though and are quite exp now. 3 bed - 380 mark, 4 bed - 480 mark.

Hi,

We're looking at buying in Sallins at the mo out the Straffan road, currently living in D24. Sallins attracts us due to the train commute to town and the increased living space in the house. We'd be familiar with Naas and Clane, but not really Sallins. I'd concur with the previous posts that there are some run down areas and it appears as if it is a town that is in need of investment. Any thoughts if the current investment in the town will be reflected in increased property prices? Will Sallins continue to be a commuter town or will we see some improvement in the town's amenities? Thanks...

We're Dublin-to-Sallins-Back-To-Dublin people and have fond memories of Sallins (The Heights). We know a few people who have moved and are moving down there. I noticed a block of land by the train station up for retail/residential sale a couple of weeks ago. One of the things that we didn't like was all the talk about the old factory on the left hand side of the village (opposite the petrol station) where it was supposed to become a shopping centre but that never happened. Looks like they're waiting for the Naas sprawl to come and do the work.

I worked in Citywest whilst down there and discovered a route that took 20mins flat any day - good or bad traffic. PM if you want to know more ;)

Having said that, with the new triple(?) carriage way it's very accessible to the likes of Liffey Valley and The Square. But then there are the charms of Donadea Forest and the open bog land that made it 'countryside to the extreme'. Great for a place if you have a dog. But there's still only one school there if you have kids.

So whilst Sallins in itself doesn't have a lot, there is an abundance of features around it that make it a nice little place.

Hi,
I saw that there is a new shopping centre/hotel/apartment complex to be built close to the train station and that several housing developments have sold very well in the area. The train timetable and frequency is due for improvement too. What struck us was the run down appearence of several main street buildings i.e. Odlum's factory , the frame for what looked like a shopping centre / warehouse and graffiti by both bridges. I'd agree that it's very close to Naas and a short drive to Dublin whilst it has a host of countryside amenities and the Left Bank and Bridgewater are good pubs. We're just wondering if the town is likely to benefit from some investment or if it will continue to remain as is. That's probably a question for Kildare County Council..also interested in that 20min run to citywest..
thanks..

One of the things that we didn't like was all the talk about the old factory on the left hand side of the village (opposite the petrol station) where it was supposed to become a shopping centre but that never happened. Looks like they're waiting for the Naas sprawl to come and do the work.

Hi Decani,
actually was looking at the Millbank estate which I think is near what your describing above, do you think there is going to be some development there which may adversly effect property prices.
Thanks for your help

Hi Decani,
actually was looking at the Millbank estate which I think is near what your describing above, do you think there is going to be some development there which may adversly effect property prices.
Thanks for your help

The builders who built Millbank own a lot of land around it. Their original 'plan' was to build a supermarket where the old factory is I think. There is some recent hoarding gone up & signs of building work there & I heard it's for the supermarket but not sure, check the county council.
Millbank could potentially get a lot bigger over the years but hopefully the amenities will keep up.

I've been living in Sallins for the past 8 years and really like it. I used to do the commute but have now got a job locally.

The train service is reasonable, but is due for some radical improvement, most likely when the Kildare Route project is completed....expected by 2009, if they are to be believed and will double the number of trains.

There's a new complex being built beside the train station that will have a supermarket, hotel etc and that looks like it will be a very well finished complex, judging by what's done so far.

The development of a shopping centre beside Millbank looks like it's finally starting. They've begun to dismantle the old meat factory and as far as I know the development will have a Super Valu style supermarket and 17 shops and a pub/restaurant. There was plans for a hotel and marina but I have my doubts they will be built, especially as the other development has a hotel.

There is a by pass planned for Sallins...both Castlesize park and Sallins Pier developments have green space running through them to allow for it....from what local councillors are saying it may take for this to be done first before any money is spent on improving the look of the village....Clane has come on leaps and bounds since it's bypass was completed. I do know there are plans to put all esb cables underground, new paving etc down by the canal but they are just plans at the minute. The development of the village has really only kicked into gear recently, up to now it's been mostly just new houses.

There's also a planning application in for a new church and community centre just gone in.

Hope that helps.

Hi

Just an add on to post,
does anyone know of any private bus operators that serve sallins on week mornings (to go to dublin city centre)
if anyone has any info on them or whether they realiable or not that wuld be great.

Thanks

Back