Old Key post: engagement rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Key Post: Engagement rings

went to appleby's.........feckin scary place........cameras everywhere........not much oxygen in the air which makes you spend more than you had planned!!
For your trouble as a male you get a few sweets to keep the blood glucose up as you look at your sweetheart choosing the most expensive ring!
Oh the joys!
Seriously I would recommend applebys.........but never again I hope!!

extopia said:
Are engagement rings not a little passé?

Far from it...diamonds are a girls best friend:D and will always be timeless

Well if you were the kind of girl who wanted one, we probably wouldn't be planning to get hitched. :)

I would recommed that you take yourself over to Hatton Gardens in London. This is an area within the City of London that is poluated by hundreds of jewellers.

Engagement rings can be brought from 1000 euro to 1 million euro. (and yes, I am serious, one million euro).

You will see an amazing array of rings, stones, and so on.

However, you should be prepared to haggle. In addition, if you bring cash rather than credit cards with you, you will get better discount.

Good luck

I bought ring in a small antiques shop in malahide and found service and selection to be excellent. I would say that a friend of mine bought hers in america and paid 4,500 euro for and upon returning found that it was valued at 17,000 home here. Granted a lot of research went into clarity and shape and carats and stuff i have not got a clue about.

It's kind of unusual these days to buy an engagement ring without the other half. Although having said that I didn't even buy one at all! Nothing to do with me being 'cheap' or anything but herself was a lot more interested in getting a wedding ring...so off we went to Weir's in Grafton Street to buy a wedding ring.

I know Weirs has a reputation for being expensive but the selection of really nice rings is vast and because of this they have prices to suit every pocket.

BTW, if you're worried about the price of an engagement ring it might be a good idea to reconsider the whole 'marriage' thing...because believe me the cost of ring (even in Weirs) pales into insignificance when you compare what you WILL be spending every weekend in Woodies DIY, B&Q, Marks & Spencer etc etc !

Had to be the "Happy Ring House" on O'Connell street for us....We received perfect advice & service there back in 1999... Time flies :)

Hi,

Quite interested in these messages, as I think this day is coming close to me. I have heard that there are great savings in mainland europe for rings. Anyone ever gone abroad to buy them and if so where?
I was thinking make a holiday and get a ring!!

What would be the price range be on average?

I haven't a clue about this kind of stuff !

Cheers

mayoman2 said:
I have heard that there are great savings in mainland europe for rings. Anyone ever gone abroad to buy them and if so where?
Bough a 1carat F VS1 diamond in 2005 when my wife had our second child.. Went to Appleby, Weirs and few others in around Grafton Street to check out the stones & prices. Was astonished by the price difference between Dublin & Paris (neither of these contries producing diamonds, and therefore buying from abroad). Appleby Dublin was 2/3rd more than in equivalent jewellers in Paris...I still do not understand why!!!

So to answer your question... definitely worth it to go mainland (Anvers Antwerp being the best places) to get a stone, at least true for diamonds from my experience.

But be aware that it seems difficult to get a ring valued in Dublin for insurance purposes. They do not want to do it!!!!
If they accept to do it, there will ask for at least 8/10 weeks, and charged based on valuation an undefined percentage...and will got guarranty/insurance your piece of jewelry while in their premises (Weirs & others - Appleby only give insurance valuation for stuff they have sold, full stop)...

Cheers bacchus

I heard about paris from someone alright!! Might just take a holiday to Paris or Antwerp!!

What do people think is the average amount that should be spent on an Engagement Ring?

It's a very personal thing I'd much rather have a big rock on my finger than pay for Aunts & Uncles dinners at a reception.

Yes, it IS a personal thing. If I had the same choice I'd have the aunts and uncles.

Not really. My point is that a family celebration is more important than a trinket. Personally I don't believe in the trinket - whether it can be afforded or not.

I think people spend far too much time and money planning obscene wedding receptions these days, inviting hundreds of their "closest friends."

A quiet celebration with family and close friends is the way to go, in my opinion.

extopia said:
Not really. My point is that a family celebration is more important than a trinket. Personally I don't believe in the trinket - whether it can be afforded or not.

I think people spend far too much time and money planning obscene wedding receptions these days, inviting hundreds of their "closest friends."

A quiet celebration with family and close friends is the way to go, in my opinion.

Last three words
in my opinion.
thus it is a personal matter. What is important to one may not be to another. Including how much if any to spend on an engagement ring. To judge anyone for how they choose to marry wouldn't be my style.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back