Refused mortgage, what to do?

Catherine1

I have just been refused.

I think we should go speak to the bank and have a sit down to find out what they want. The application seemed good and we were looking for a small amount. Would having a meeting with the manager achieve anything? Would he at least steer us in the right direction? It is aib and I have read they just do not loan to first time buyers..........,

OH is in bits and wants to give up. I am not so fast to give up and want to know exactly why and what can be done to fix it.

House valued at. 150, got it at 120. 50k deposit. Permanent job in IT at 37k a year. No kids or dependents.

And I have to say it is annoying me. This man saved for his education while his friends were taking on mad boom mortgages. He is truly mister sensible. He saved enough to put himself through four years of college anD buy a car. 27 grand with change.

He is looking for a small mortgage now for a house for life.

Makes me far less sorry for those who bought in the boom I can tell you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you had a look at your ICB report in case there is anything obvious there that may have affected it, Maybe there is nothing on ICB if he has never borrowed, oddly enough this can be a disadvantage. Did you try B of I or UB?

It sounds like a reasonable proposition however bank may not tell you the reason for refusal, manager's have practically no say in lending anymore, mainly decided centrally these days.

Have got any kind of deposit to put towards the purchase. The UK is not lending 100% mortgages to first time buyers until they have a 25% deposit and some banks are even asking for higher deposit of 25%. Not sure if it is the same in Ireland.

Could be that the amount being borrowed is too small? I've heard of it happening before.

Catherine 1.

Try Bank of Ireland. Have every detail of your history in relation to savings, earnings, qualifications and your current living expanses.

Are you currently renting and if so have proof of payment either in letter from Landlord or in your current bank statements.

Have bank statements as far as they go back with you.

Look organized when doing your interview with the bank.

Is your partner on contract or permanent?

Have you any possibility of getting work or have you any particular qualification?

From discussion with employees in AIB and BoI it would appear that BoI will give you a reason for refusal in their code of conduct.

From my experience there are some very poor managers in AIB and I could back this up.

Make an appointment with other institutions tomorrow and the best of luck to you.

The mortgage is being taken out by him alone. We are engaged but not living together (unusual these days probably!). I am giving him the 50k towards the house. His record is impeccable to my eyes. I am out of work so useless lol. He had everything document wise and used a broker for ICS, KBC and AIB, his own bank. So far refused by ICS and AIB. KCB not happy but broker knows a girl there and persuaded her to have another look. ICS said it was refused because of no direct debit for his rent, which he pays in cash. AIB just said he couldn't afford it! But he has had a few complaints against them recently, for overcharging him here and there. As I said, this man is very sensible with his money!

Is it even wrt trying BOI now ICS have refused? Next week we are meeting with Permanent TSB and Ulster bank, in person.

I think part of the problem is the 50k I am giving him, and not being a relative. I am hoping that by meeting us they will realise we are a serious, steady engaged couple. I think they all think the 50k is a loan he will have to pay back, but just are not saying that. If we meet them they will see my ring at least! I mean, why else would I do this? Will get a letter from my dad or have him on speed dial just in case lol. He is the one who gave me the 50k.

Any other advice very welcome. Meeting with both next Wednesday.

Thanks a million.

Oh, and he got his ICB report and it is totally clean. His credit card is paid every month and his last loan was for 2k in 2006, and he paid it off early. On paper he is the perfect customer (and husband lol).

ICS said it was refused because of no direct debit for his rent, which he pays in cash. AIB just said he couldn't afford it!

Sounds like the issue could be no evidence of ability to make the monthly repayments. If he pays his rent in cash, presumably it doesn't appear on the bank statements. Does he have regular monthly savings appearing on the bank statements?

If not, he'll need to set his rent up as a Standing Order and set his savings up as a monthly Standing Order and then try again in six months or more when he can show a history of being able to repay the proposed mortgage.

There are two main issues here.

The 50 K deposit is being provided by an unrelated party. There is a single applicant who is providing zero deposit, and is showing zero savings. There is an issue that the applicant will somehow 'owe' Catherine the 50K. Also an issue is does her 50K mean she has some kind of 'equity' in a property.

Look at it this way Catherine, if he were to go ahead and purchase it and then you split up wouldn't you be angry and try and get your 50K back.

Second issue is apparently lack of proof of monthly rent. You've been told this, but I think the real reason is the source of the deposit. Surely your fiance can prove by bank withdrawals, by lease, by receipts that he is in fact paying rent. I mean a landlord can easily confirm that he has received rent of x monthly on time for the last 6 months etc.

Question for you. Why would you put up 50K in a property you will not own?

Just went back on this, the 50 source is even worse as it's coming from the OP's dad. Second question for you Catherine. Why would your dad lend you money to give to your fiance to purchase a house solely in your fiance's name?

Not as clear cut as it first appeared.

I can now see where the bank is coming from and yes the deposit is certainly an issue. Why are applying for mortgage in his name only? I understand you are not employed and you would then become a dependant for the purposes of underwriting but it would help with the deposit issue.

Where is the protection for you or your Dad in this? This is what the underwriters are asking themselves.

Just noticed your reply on another poster's query, you can't wait to hand back the keys of your own property to bank!!! Presume that is the reason for no joint application so. It gets less like a good prop for the bank by the minute.

Last edited:
Surely if your father is giving you a present of €50k, you should be using it to reduce your own negative equity rather than giving a present of it to your boyfriend?

Brendan

I would second Brendan on using the 50k to fund your existing home Mortgage!

I have some questions;

What about the house that was willed to your BF's father, who wishes to give it to your BF?
Could this house/site be sold?
Was bank told about that?
(Perhaps there are concerns about tax liability on this-which is a draw on income?)
Do you live in your own mortgaged house at present?
Are you making any payments on this at present-perhaps Interest only?
Have you got a plan for dealing with this situation/property?
Could this not be both your homes-(if this is practical) rather than have your OH/BF paying rent to someone else?
Has he not got a rent book to prove outgoings?
The absence of any savings is strange if he is so good with money-did all this just go on a car?

On the positive side;

If you don't get the house you refer to, there will be other houses
You could both be happy in a rented house.
You could rent out your own house and live with OH

Excellent points Luternau which prompt another issue...

If you gift €50,000 to your boyfriend, he will have to pay €11,500 CAT ( 33% of the excess over €15,000)

It is much better for you to lend it to him and then forgive the loan when you get married.

But overall, he should be renting until he can afford to buy a house on his own.

If you split up, how will he be able to repay the €50,000 to you?

Brendan

Just noticed your reply on another poster's query, you can't wait to hand back the keys of your own property to bank!!! Presume that is the reason for no joint application so. It gets less like a good prop for the bank by the minute.

And another one:

My Bfs father was left a property by his uncle in the 80's. Probate was done but the deeds never transferred into his name. Now..... He needs to sell this property. It has been valued at 80k and the money is to go to his son, my bf. my question is regarding tax....... What needs to be paid and by whom? What is the best way to approach this, as the deeds are still in the name of the long deceased uncle of my Bfs father.....

So if the boyfriend is about to come in to around 80K and you have 50K, why the need for a loan at all... this whole think is starting to sound flaky!!!

I totally agree with the last 7 posts. It would be very helpful to everyone if posters originating a thread would give all the facts at the outset. Catherine 1's thread being an example. Her BF's loan application looks quite different now than it did originally. Yes Catherine 1 has been frank in her answers as the thread developed but it would have helped if most of this information was given at the start. This is not a lecture to Catherine 1 as it happens quite frequently

Will do that later on and I would be happy to it edited where it is found to be lacking in detail

Re new guideline, perhaps something like,'please include all relevant information', and give an example in the posting guideline of what is meant by 'relevant' information.

Back