Need to sell car - private or garage?

J

joeyd

I need to sell my car - basically we can't afford to run two cars at the moment so I'm getting rid of mine. Is it best to go private? Does anyone ever go to a garage and ask them to buy it off them? Do garages even do this???

Just looking for some advice on the best way to go about it. I don't really want the hassle of a private sale but if it has to be....

Thanks,

Joeyd

You'll probably do better selling privately if you can put up with the hassle of it.

You could sell it at auction. Convenient but you won't get the best price.
e.g.

It depends a lot on the car you are tring to get rid of, If its a very popular/sought after model some garages will buy from you, generally you will not get a good price, but if your in a hurry, prepared to take a bit of a hit, it can be convenient

If I sell it privately, and something goes wrong (a mechanical problem for example) am I liable? I know I sound a wee bit naive here but I've no idea of where to start! Is there anywhere I can look for good legal advice on selling privately?

I know little about the legals but have always sold privately without issues. We usually work out the savings at about 4-5k per switch, IE: sell one privately, buy the next privately as opposed to going the garage route.When buying 'caveat emptor, buyer beware - no comeback if you buy a dud so always be careful; if something looks too good to be true it probably is.

I know you are just selling but in general if buying/selling via a garage you want to know the cost to switch (difference between the price you are getting for your car V. the cost of the car you are buying) NOT the great trade in you are getting - this is meaningless if you are paying over-the-odds for the car you're buying.

Buyer beware. If someone buys your car without having it fully checked out by a mechanic - it's their problem.

id sell privately - garages wont give u near the same price as the car is worth. Also I dont know any garages that will buy a car straight from you

Back