Survey request

Cantona7

Hi all,

I need to have an apartment in Dublin surveyed before closing.

Does anyone have any contacts for this type of job? What typical costs are involved.

thanks in advance.

Le Roi 7

Is it a new build apartment that you need snagged? Or a second hand one?

For my second hand house I used Pat McGovern & Associates - [broken link removed], who were recommended on AAM, and found them good. I think they charged around €400.

I hate to admin it, but I filled it in myself for my house refurb job. (sneaky I know but it wasn't difficult to fill in the form) My mortgage was with ['a major bank' - edited by DrMoriarty to remove the risk to AAM of anything potentially defamatory] - they recommended some one they use all the time and it would cost 120 plus VAT. To make it quicker and so that it won't be rejected - you could ask your mortgage provider for a recommendation.

Deirdra, you're talking about a lender's survey, which pretty much just confirms the value of the house.

I thought Cantona7 was asking about a structural survey, which is obviously a far more thorough procedure - not compulsory, but highly recommended.

I hate to admin it, but I filled it in myself for my house refurb job. (sneaky I know but it wasn't difficult to fill in the form) My mortgage was with [ditto - see above. Dr M] - they recommended some one they use all the time and it would cost 120 plus VAT. To make it quicker and so that it won't be rejected - you could ask your mortgage provider for a recommendation.

Wow banks are allowing buyers to undertake their own valuations, had to happen sometime.:D

Sherman, you're probably right. Structural surveys - leave it to the professionals.
You're right Duplex, some one had to do it (I'm not the only one who wants to save being charged 120 for ten mins work!)

Deirdra, a couple of points

1. A mortgage valuation requires more than five minutes to undertake, especially a valuation of a property requiring refurbishment. In the UK only Chartered Surveyors are qualified to undertake valuations for secured lending purposes and it takes a minimum of five years to qualify. In Ireland standards are less stringent; however a professional qualification is required in addition costly professional indemnity insurance.

2. You have admitted on a public forum to fraud by deception, which I believe to be a serious criminal offence. If your deception comes to light at some future date your lender may be entitled to repossess the subject property and peruse you for damages. I would recommend that you speak to your solicitor and see if there is some way to rectify a very shaky situation.

3. What is astonishing about this story is the that the bank accepted a forged valuation report? ( they won’t accept valuations from valuers not on their panel) Makes you wonder about the soundness of their balance sheet.

I have used Michael O'Malley 3 times in recent years and found him very thourough and he gave me as much time as I needed on the phone to discuss the report. The first house was new and so he did a snag list. The 2nd house was 100 years old and in need of complete refurbishment and he spent 20 minutes with me on the phone going through the report. Next house was about 15 years old and was farily straight forward.

I'm pretty sure he only charges about €250 plus VAT but I'm open to correction.

His number is (01) 8392835.

I hate to admin it, but I filled it in myself for my house refurb job.

Did your mortgage lender agree to this? Im very surprised you got away with it, bank valuations must be from a valuer on the lenders panel and must be signed and stamped by the valuer.

How much should I expect to pay for a "defects analysis" report on a recently built house by a firm of chartered surveyors?

Geegee said:
How much should I expect to pay for a "defects analysis" report on a recently built house by a firm of chartered surveyors?

Please don't duplicate posts.

Please don't duplicate posts.

I didn't. You requested the discussion should be kept on this forum so I obliged by deleting the original post and re-posting on this forum...can't win!!

Geegee said:
I didn't. You requested the discussion should be kept on this forum so I obliged by deleting the original post and re-posting on this forum...can't win!!

I thought that I had edited the thread title as it seems to be a separate issue from this one? I may have posted a request and then deleted it. Apologies for any confusion caused.

What is the difference between a structural analysis and a defects analysis?

Back