Healthcare costs - not insurance High cost of drugs in Ireland.

My local pharmacist told me that many drugs which are available elsewhere in the EU are not available in Ireland as it's not worth their while applying for an Irish license. I was surprised at this as I had assumed if the EU had approved it, we should not add another layer of approval.

Brendan
HPRA still require local approval, this is largely about the outer packaging and the insert leaflet.

The Irish market is relatively so small that many suppliers won't bother.
As my daughter says the juice is not worth the squeeze!

Under EU law any EU approved prescribed human product can be imported by a registered importer.
Anyone can register as an importer. Obviously an applicant would have to show the HPRA that have the required expertise and facility to control prescribed medication.

"Where the product to be imported differs in any respect from that on the Irish market, a parallel import licence (termed a ‘parallel product authorisation’) must be obtained; Where the product to be imported is identical in all respects (including identical packaging, labels and leaflets) to the product on the Irish market, a parallel import licence (termed a Dual Pack import Registration (DPR)) is required; "

Attachments

• HPRA aut-g0006-guide-to-parallel-imports---human-medicines-v16.pdf
    302.8 KB · Views: 40
Ozempic in Ireland €141 per pen
Marseille in France - €80 per pen!

HRT medication in my local Hickey's pharmacy - €50
Same medication in Chemist Warehouse - €26!!!!

Pays to to shop around or in some cases, leave the country!

Marseille in France - €80 per pen!

HRT medication in my local Hickey's pharmacy - €50
Same medication in Chemist Warehouse - €26!!!!

Pays to to shop around or in some cases, leave the country!
And $1,000 for ozempic in USA!!! - but much cheaper if you have insurance.

If you get Ozempic with a medical card, or on the DPS scheme, the HSE will pay the chemist around €93, presumably the chemist is making something at this price. Charging a paying customer €141 is an additional €48, seems excessive to me.

As a paying customer, my two monthly meds cost €12 in Pure or €17 in Allcare. If I had a medical card the HSE would pay the chemist €8.

Would the above suggest excessive profit margins are at least part of the reason for the high cost of drugs in Ireland.

You can see the HSE reimbursement prices if you enter the name or drug code here; https://www.sspcrs.ie/druglist/pub

Last edited:
Back