Breaching my tenancy agreement

Yazoo123

Hi,

I'm in a RAS property for the last 19 years. My son, his girlfriend and kids are homeless and no where to go since September. They're on the homeless HAP but can't find a property. They're medical priority on the Council list because they have a disabled child. I took them in last September because they were on the street and nobody cared.

I've received a letter from the Council stating that I've breached my tenancy agreement by not adding them to my rent. I probably owe a lot at this stage. My question is can I be evicted?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Welcome to AAM.

I can't answer your question but with Council elections coming up shortly I would be hot footing it to my most helpful/vocal local Councillor and get them to make representations on my behalf.

Extremely unlikely that you would be evicted.

They might ask for back rent.

But just explain the situation to them and start paying the proper rent.

Tell them that it was an emergency and was and is meant to be temporary.

Brendan

Hi,

I'm in a RAS property for the last 19 years. My son, his girlfriend and kids are homeless and no where to go since September. They're on the homeless HAP but can't find a property. They're medical priority on the Council list because they have a disabled child. I took them in last September because they were on the street and nobody cared.

I've received a letter from the Council stating that I've breached my tenancy agreement by not adding them to my rent. I probably owe a lot at this stage. My question is can I be evicted?

Thanks in advance.
I'm amazed at the efficiency of the council. But there is no way the council are going to evict you over this. Especially since you've taken in an entire homeless family. The letter is probably a standard letter. Just contact the letter writer and discuss with them next steps. They will come up with a solution to pay back rent in an affordable manner for you. In this case, I'd not write anything back, for these kind of things I think a face to face can work much better. This advice is contrary to most advice I give which is to keep everything in writing. (yes I've experience of dealing with councils) . Most (not all) civil servants are human beings.

On a side note: Do you think someone reported you?

For peace of mind you should consult Threshold. Or Citizen's Advice. Both will give you independent, free, advice.

I'm amazed at the efficiency of the council. But there is no way the council are going to evict you over this. Especially since you've taken in an entire homeless family. The letter is probably a standard letter. Just contact the letter writer and discuss with them next steps. They will come up with a solution to pay back rent in an affordable manner for you. In this case, I'd not write anything back, for these kind of things I think a face to face can work much better. This advice is contrary to most advice I give which is to keep everything in writing. (yes I've experience of dealing with councils) . Most (not all) civil servants are human beings.

On a side note: Do you think someone reported you?

For peace of mind you should consult Threshold. Or Citizen's Advice. Both will give you independent, free, advice.
Thanks for your advice I don't think any one reported them staying with me I think they have just put 2 and 2 together because my son is receiving letters from the same council with the same address as he has meeting's with the council every week because off his situation I taught they'd be housed within weeks and weeks turned into months

Thanks for your advice I don't think any one reported them staying with me I think they have just put 2 and 2 together because my son is receiving letters from the same council with the same address as he has meeting's with the council every week because off his situation I taught they'd be housed within weeks and weeks turned into months
My understanding of 'the system' is that he has to be actually homeless to get housing. You've solved the council's problem for them so he doesn't move up the list. If it were me, I'd be telling the council you're evicting him, that you want him out, and so on and so forth, the people that are proactive on 'the system' get the housing. Of course if there is no housing at all, than that's a different issue.

Hi,

Welcome to AAM.

I can't answer your question but with Council elections coming up shortly I would be hot footing it to my most helpful/vocal local Councillor and get them to make representations on my behalf.
Thank you
My understanding of 'the system' is that he has to be actually homeless to get housing. You've solved the council's problem for them so he doesn't move up the list. If it were me, I'd be telling the council you're evicting him, that you want him out, and so on and so forth, the people that are proactive on 'the system' get the housing. Of course if there is no housing at all, than that's a different issue

My understanding of 'the system' is that he has to be actually homeless to get housing. You've solved the council's problem for them so he doesn't move up the list. If it were me, I'd be telling the council you're evicting him, that you want him out, and so on and so forth, the people that are proactive on 'the system' get the housing. Of course if there is no housing at all, than that's a different issue.
That's good advice because if I add them on my rent they have to been assessed so their currently living in my sitting room because I've only a 3 bed and I've 2 other sons and myself That's 5 adults and 2 children under 2 plus wasn't taken rent from my homeless son and his family ill have to evict them so this will be awful for them and let the council house them he's bidding on cbl every week no joy tds are telling him we'll get your sorted he's even gone to the ambus man
Thanks

Still say get advice from one of your local Councillors who are dealing with this type of stuff on a daily basis. You could make your situation worse in your dealings with the Council through your personal lack of knowledge on the situation. Forewarned is forearmed when it comes to these situations.

Back